Custom execution settings for BFI catalog download action

I have opened an RFE for having an option to schedule the catalog download action for BFI. Right now it is sent automatically by BFI during an import and user has no control over the settings.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=123298

This is especially useful if this action needs to be sent out during a specific maintenance period.
Please upvote if you think this feature will be useful. Your comments welcome.

I’m curious to know more about your use case.

The catalog is a smallish .xml file that gets loaded into the Client’s folders on each machine through the BigFix infrstructure, so it seems like the impact is minimal on the network and each machine.

Note also, that when you send the Catalog to the BFI server, it begins reporting that the machines have an outdated catalog (until that action runs, and another scan is uploaded to BFI).

Yeah I have had the same argument with our change management folks but a change on server is a change however small it is. So it can happen only during a specific period. I can bypass this by timing my data import so that the action gets sent during the maintenance window. But there is a risk always if the action targets something outside the window.

By that reasoning, all BigFix actions would have to be held until the window opens.

Have you looked into using the Maintenance Window Dashboard to enforce client locking outside of the scheduled maintenance windows?

1 Like

I have not. Will check this out. Right now we specify start/end times for other actions to match the maintenance window.

There is an Advanced Server setting that allows you to disable that “automatic push” of the catalog file when it is uploaded to the BFI server (Download Software Catalog Automatically).

We disable that and then if you go to Management Tab > Catalog Upload, Question Mark ICon int he middle of the page, it allows you to manually download the Catalog Download Fixlet, which you can import into the BigFix Console and manually deploy.

Our use case is probably like yours. We want to control scanning so we deploy a Multiple Action Group on demand:

1. Install Scanner
  2. Install Catalog
  3. Run Capacity San
  4. Initiate Software Scan

Policy action always running to Upload Scan results.

1 Like

Ok found that setting. Its enable_automatic_catalog_download and if I set it to false, I can target the catalog manually.

1 Like

Ah - that’s useful information. I had not heard of that Advanced Server setting. Thanks!

1 Like