Creating ad-hoc computer groups

I’ve scoured the forums and landed on multiple threads that seem to cover this topic but none of which are current or that have a working solution.

Is there a way to create ad-hoc computer groups?

My use case:

I have a list of servers that are showing as decommissioned in our CMDB but we still have the entry in BigFix. Now I know that I could run the clean up tool and remove all servers that haven’t reported in “x” time however in this case we also have a LOT of servers that are still active and have connection issues so I don’t want to get rid of those.

Ideally I just want to paste a list and create a group so that I can do whatever I need to with them :smiley:

Checked:

So I done this and it helped :smiley:

• Select TOOLS
  • Select TAKE CUSTOM ACTION
  • Select ENTER DEVICE NAMES
  • Paste list of servers
  • Select OK
  • Select the target tab from action
  • CTRL A to select all endpoints
  • Right click and select VIEW AS GROUP

Now I’ve been able to remove them all from the DB

You can also create an ad-hoc group using this method too which is great (slow but great)

1 Like

This adhoc group wizard has been around a while but I can’t find the original source forum thread. Import this .ojo attachment into a site in your BigFix Console (don’t set the checkbox to send to clients) and then go to Dashboards > All Dashboards and you should see Ad-Hoc Group. It allows you to create a temp adhoc group based on a list of hostnames.

remove the .bes file type from the end of the file name.adhocgroup-wizard.ojo.bes (1.7 KB)

3 Likes

There is actually a problem with the OpenComputerGroup Javascript function that the dashboard uses if you have implemented Multicloud feature - the function doesn’t seem to work for correlated computers (still works fine for normal/native ones). I have a case with Support for that now but thought I’d mention just in case someone else is wondering why it only works sometimes…

2 Likes

I had tried this a few time Chris, always ended up with errors and couldn’t get it working though :joy:

Would you mind sharing the case number you have opened on this?

Not at all (CS0214378), but apparently it may actually have been due to a bug (BFP-18509 - DA KB0082547) that was resolved in v10.0.2 already. I am still running 10.0.1, so need to upgrade and retest it.

I used the adhocdgroupwizard.ojo today. You do need to activate the Debug menu in the console (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D) then you can load the OJO and it will then be activated. You can re-access it from the bottom of the Debug menu

2 Likes