Creating a computer group based on text file (orcsv etc)

Hi,

We have a large BigFix deployment (>10,000 endpoints) and have various groups already in place for patch management etc but now we have a new requirement to complete an ILMT report for TSM PVU sub-capacity reporting. We need to create a group covering the, approx 5000, systems that backup to a subset of the TSM servers.

The nodes don’t really have anything in common (computer name, IP, OS etc) so ideally this would be a dynamic group that somehow looked at ‘backs up to server X’, however I can only imagine would be possible by looking for the ‘TCPServeraddress’ entry in the tsm .opt file on these systems which I’m not sure is a realistic possibility.

Given the above I think that means we’re left looking at a manual group based on name or IP. We can extract the list of IPs of all active nodes from the TSM servers - is there a way we can import this into BigFix to create this group? If that is possible can we update the group by repeating the process with a new IP list?

Any tips on the above or any other suggestions for creating a group for ILMT to use would be appreciated,

Cheers.

I have an analysis at https://bigfix.me/analysis/details/2994716 to retrieve many TSM client data points, including the configured TSM server name from dsm.opt.

Hey,

Thats great, although it looks like it takes the dsm.opt location from the registry, am I correct there? If so do you have something similar for AIX, Linux etc OS please?

Sorry, I wrote it for Windows. It shouldn’t be hard to modify it to look in a Linux/AIX path though. Is the dsm.opt located in the same path on all of your platforms?

Its mostly the standard paths I believe so yes, we should be able to modify for the non-windows clients (that said your analysis has mostly returned so far but we won’t hold that against you, I think we’re on the right path :slight_smile: )

In broad terms creating an analysis that checks for the existence of a .opt file in the standard path(s) and then returns the TCPSERVERADDRESS from there seems like a good approach.