Create Windows 10 "Common Icons"

Hello,

I’m trying to distribute the common icons (such as “this pc”, “control panel” and so on) to make them shows up on the current logged on user desktop.

Googling around I’ve found these registry keys and values for “This PC” or “My PC” icon :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
“{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}”=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]
“{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}”=dword:00000000

This HEX Codes are the same in every Client as far as I know. I have a problem while executing the action.
It seems BigFix can’t properly create the reg file as I want it. If I use the same reg file by double-clicking on it , it works properly and create the icons I want.

BigFix fails to create the registry file as you can see in the attached e-mail…

Do you have any suggestions ?

Thank you in advance, Andrea.

BigFix assumes anything in curly brackets is relevance it needs to evaluate, so you need a second { for each value you’re trying to set.

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21506259

1 Like

Thank you. I didn’t know that.

Now the fixlet works properly but it says that the task was completed succesfully but I have no icons on desktop. The registry values are set to 1 instead of 0.

It seems it doesn’t use the currentm logged on user.

That’s because the Bigfix agent runs as system, not the logged on user

Ah sorry, I didn’t read everything closely. BigFix is running as the local SYSTEM account, so when you want to modify stuff in HKCU you need to make some additional adjustments. There’s lots of discussion on that topic on the forums already, but this should hopefully get you started:

https://developer.bigfix.com/relevance/guide/client/registry.html

https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/reference/execution/override.html

1 Like

This I know, infact using the Wizard from BigFix Console I flagged “Run the generated task as the currently logged-in user” as you can see in the attached picture.

But now I assume it doesn’t work

Thank you I’ll check it out since it seems that the feature provided by the Wizard does not work.

You can use the software distribution dashboard to deploy your shortcuts if you wish. You import the .lnk file in SWD and modify the action script to only include the bare bones. I should already have a template to do this.

Alternatively, you can invoke a vbs or powershell script in a fixlet that can do it in less steps, and run as current user. It would be quite easy to create a fixlet that prompts you for the link you want to create. Again, I may have some stuff already but I will need to test as I don’t think I’ve tried it with Win10.

I will check back in a bit!

1 Like

Problem is that those files are not .lnk - to enable those links you have to do it from Control Panel that set to “0” a value inside a Local User Registry Key, that is the problem I’m having right now.

parameter “currentUser”=“{(name of key whose (((it = name of current user as lowercase OR it starts with name of current user as lowercase & “@”) of (it as string as lowercase) of (if (name of operating system = “Win7” OR name of operating system = “Win8” OR name of operating system = “Win8.1” OR name of operating system = “Win10”) then value “USERNAME” of key “Volatile Environment” of it else value “Logon User Name” of key “Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer” of it))) of key “HKEY_USERS” of registry)}”
regset “[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]” “{{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}}”=“dword:00000000”
regset “[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]” “{{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}}”=“dword:00000000”
regset “[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]” “{{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}}”=“dword:00000000”
regset “[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]” “{{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}}”=“dword:00000000”
regset “[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]” “{{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}}”=“dword:00000000”
regset “[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]” “{{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}}”=“dword:00000000”

This was my last attempt, I’ve used this code (first line) that is from another fixlet we used that properly modifies some other registry keys. I can’t understand why it isn’t working.

Just tested this process and it works for Windows 10:

1. Create a shortcut for Control Panel on your desktop.

2. In the BF Console, go to SWD and create a new package

3. Import the Control Panel.lnk file from your desktop

4. Create and then edit the task and delete everything after approx line 20:

_move "_Download/CB8FDCA970423C03090943FB9076C5006FA9DFFA" “{parameter
    "baseFolder”}Control Panel.lnk"

Then drop in the following action script:

if {not exists folder ((value "Programs" of key "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" of current user keys (logged on users) of registry ) as string &"\Shortcuts")}
dos mkdir "{(value "Programs" of key "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" of current user keys (logged on users) of registry ) as string &"\Shortcuts"}"
endif

//Now copy the shortcut
copy "{parameter "baseFolder"}Control Panel.lnk" "{(value "Desktop" of key 
"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" of current user keys (logged on users) 
of registry ) as string &"\Control Panel.lnk"}"
  1. Save and test against a Win10 or Win7 machine.

This is the bare bones, it will need a bit of additional relevance for applicability which I can help you with - best to get this bit working first though.

2 Likes

Oh, I see… it creates a shortcut… well I might give it a try, if my supervisor likes it anyway I’ll be gratefull to you.

Is there a chance that you also know the names to create the links to other system icons ? I mean “this pc” , user folder ecc…

In a couple hours I’ll try this one and get back to you asap.
Thank you!