Create an Action with an offer then force starts after certain time

What I want is to create an Action with an offer that will allow users to install patches early. If they do not install accept the offer and install patches before 9pm, I want to force install the patches. 12 hours after patches install I want to for a reboot (with a prompt to save their work).

How would I make this happen? Below are settings for the action I have made. If works in letting users install patches early, however at 9pm patches do not kick off regardless of user preference. The get a “Waiting for Offer” and don’t progress.

edit
I added a bunch of settings pictures as replies

The way I do it is to send the patch baselines with a custom constraint - “run only when … PatchWindow … is not … ‘Closed’”

PatchWindow is a property based on a custom client setting.

Then, I send an Offer to let them change the PatchWindow value to ‘open’, and a second (non-offer) to open the patch window if they do not take the early offer.

Relevance on the force window includes

not exists setting "PatchWindow" whose (exists value of it and now - effective date of it < 2 * week) of client

That prevents the system from going in to patch window if they have accepted the patch offer in the last two weeks.

You can also send reboot actions with relevance based on how long the patch window has been open.

Added a feature request for this feature if anyone else on the forum see this and wants the feature.
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=111737

Personally, I find this is absurd and is not how it works by default. IE, to take an action on a baseline with offer select and a timeframe listed and a deadline set to take automatic forced action.

With the IBM link no longer working, “The following error occurred when your request was processed:” anyone know if this has been addressed?

The IBM RFE site has been replaced with the HCL BigFix Product Ideas Portal:

https://bigfix-ideas.hcltechsw.com/ideas

The RFE may already be here, or you could add it.

1 Like