Could the BigFix client cause Apple's Big Sur OS to Kernel Panic?

@AlanM

I have a couple of our staff that are telling me that their newly upgraded Mac systems are Kernel Panicking and that once they got rid of the BigFix Client, it stopped Panicking.

Does this sound reasonable? They were both running v9.5.16.90

Hey, Tim!

I’m running the 10.0.1 BigFix Agent on Big Sur right now with no issues. From conversations with HCL folks, I believe that the newer Agents can will talk to older Servers without issue. You’ll likely want to get the latest macOS Agent on those Big Sur boxes, whether the Server is at that version or not.

1 Like

You should definitely run the 10.0.1 BigFix agent on Big Sur regardless of root server version.

I don’t know why this would be specifically. I have run the 9.5 agent on Big Sur and did not have the same issue, but it is also NOT meant to be run on Big Sur. You should proactively upgrade all MacOS devices to 10.0.1 agent as soon as possible to maximize compatibility with Big Sur.

There will be a specific update to the BigFix agent for Big Sur soon, but 10.0.1 should be functional, even if not everything is fully tested and built for Big Sur yet. Once that update is released, you should also upgrade MacOS devices to it as soon as possible.

I am also running 10.0.1 BigFix agent on Apple Silicon on Big Sur using Rosetta 2 emulation. This does seem to work just fine, but the BigFix Self Service application is not working. A native agent for Apple Silicon and updates to the BigFix Self Service Application are in the works to address this, but that will take a bit longer.

2 Likes

I’ve submitted an idea for an Apple Silicon-native agent.

https://bigfix-ideas.hcltechsw.com/ideas/BFP-I-152

1 Like

Support for M1 added with 10.0.3 released yesterday

2 Likes