Console Log Viewer Task

Hello All!

I’m still kind of new to these forums, so if this is the wrong place for this, please move as required.

I had a need to read the BES Client’s log file when I am debugging a new Task or baselines, and re-opening the log file everytime it refreshes is a pain and manual…

So I have created a task to use a piece of software called Tail to live stream the current Log file.

I have it set to run from network file shares, as I dont want to have to cleanup and its reasonably small. Folder also has a copy of RunAsCurrentUser to get the program running on the users desktop.

In my tasks Action Script

//Set parameter to file path of newest Bigfix Log name & file path

parameter "NewestLog" = "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\__BESData\__Global\Logs\{((name of it) of items 1 of (maximum of modification times of files whose(name of it as lowercase ends with ".log") of it, files whose(name of it as lowercase ends with ".log" of it) of it) whose (item 0 of it = modification time of item 1 of it) of folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\__BESData\__Global\Logs")}"

//use the RunasCurrentUser to Cmd to Tail.exe with -F parameter of newest file name.

run "\\NetworkFileshare\RACU\RunAsCurrentUser.exe" --w --q cmd.exe /c "\\NetworkFileshare\Tail\tail.exe -f "{parameter "NewestLog"}""

It works great, its fast, and maybe it will help anyone who should need it!

Disclaimer, I have no association with Tail and its creator, only a happy end user.
http://tailforwin32.sourceforge.net/

Current limitation is it only works for local admin’s, as standard user cannot access the Logs folder path.
Version 2 will probably uses Calcs or something to temporarily alter the path, as standard account testing would be awesome too.

K.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing! You might also consider uploading this task to bigfix.me :slight_smile: