Compliance Server Setup

Hey all,

I’m currently attempting to setup our compliance server and have run into a snag. I have a ticket open with IBM support, but right now we’re still researching/looking into the issue.

I followed the setup instructions that are in the Compliance Setup fixlet and installed the compliance piece on the destination server. I also installed SQL Server 2016. I’m on a terminal server and using IE, I’m attempting to finish up the compliance setup and creation of the application database, but I’m running into this error:

For host, I’ve tried everything from the full name of the compliance server, the IP, and even just “localhost” and keep getting this “could not connect to localhost” error. I’ve tried Windows Auth as well as SQL Server Auth using an SA account that I know is on the SQL server. I have verified that the ports are open for 1433, 433, and 52311 from the terminal server to the compliance server, and in our hardware firewall rule I don’t see any explicit denies so I’m at a loss.

I’m able to ping the compliance server, port 1433 is open and listening on it, so I’m not sure what the issue could be. Has anyone experienced this before?

Edit: I had not preemptively setup the database on the compliance server yet because I assume that this step does that. Maybe I’m wrong?

The database connection won’t be coming from your terminal server or the browser, this is a connection between the Compliance service and the database.

If Compliance and the database are on the same host, the “Windows Auth” connection would use the account of the Compliance service (LocalSystem by default). Check that the SYSTEM account has a login defined in the SQL server.

One way to check on the server is to use PSExec (www.microsoft.com/sysinternals) to open a command shell as the SYSTEM account

Psexec -s -i cmd.exe
From that SYSTEM command prompt see if you can connect to SQL using sqlcmd.exe

You’re right. Not sure why I was looking at traffic from the terminal to the server.

I just remoted to the compliance server to work on it. I opened sqlcmd.exe and got the 1> after the window came up, so I’m guessing that’s good to go.

I’ve tried using the SA account since I know that is explicitly defined but still no dice.

Edit: I haven’t setup the tem_analtyics database up in SQL yet because I thought that this would be the setup for it. Not sure if this matters, I just wanted to clarify.

I’m pretty sure it’ll create tem_analytics on its own.

So far still nothing. IBM suggested disabling some of the security measures on the server to test, but that’s not an option in our environment.

At this point I’m not sure. It’s possible there might be a security measure stopping the install. Are there any logs for this I could check?

I just wanted to come back to this in case someone else stumbles upon the same issue.

I found this link and after I changed the TLS and SSL registry keys to Enabled and restarted, everything was working and I was able to setup the compliance server.

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg22005219

1 Like