Clients don't displaying action´s messages to users on SLED 12

Hi there!

In some actions, I need to inform the user about the change in his environment. On openSUSE 11, I could do that, just marking in Menu “Messages” the check box “Display message…”. However, on SLED 12 it´s not working anymore.

The Bigfix´s User Interface is controlled by XBESClientUI process, but it’s being dead few seconds later:

At 11:29:57 -0300 - 
   User interface process started for user 'root'
At 11:30:03 -0300 - 
   User interface process ended (30.0) for user 'root'.  Retry in 5 minutes.
At 11:31:44 -0300 - 
   Report posted successfully
At 11:35:27 -0300 - 
At 11:35:33 -0300 - 
   User interface process ended (30.0) for user 'root'.  Retry in 5 minutes.
At 11:40:57 -0300 - 
At 11:41:03 -0300 - 
   User interface process ended (30.0) for user 'root'.  Final attempt failed.  Retry in 24 hours.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Regards!

This depends generally on your console having its X Windows set up correctly so we can launch a process correctly. The root user has some other issues. Which version of the client are you using?

Also a general comment that while a client may work on openSUSE, it isn’t an officially supported platofmr

Clients Bigfix version: 9.5.10.79
I know that openSuSe is not officially supported plataform. We already deployed all linux desktops to SLED 12.

We didn’t migrate to 9.5.11 yet because we are waiting an enhancement to Bigfix support SLES 15. The librpm was changed on SLES 15 and the RPM relevances are not working.

Anybody knows how to solve this issue on SLED 12 x86_64?

I looked at the problem, and I was able to reproduce it on the OS’ Server version (SLES 12), which is the version of SuSE that BigFix supports officially.

There might be two causes for this issue:

1. The shared library libXaw8 is not installed on the system. In order to verify if this is the case, please try to manually launch /opt/BESClient/bin/XBESClientUI, and check the output to stdout

2. A compatibility issue between XBESClientUI and older versions of the X Window System, so this would possibly depend on the version of xorg-x11-server installed on the system. We are working to have this compatibility issue resolved in 9.5.13

1 Like

Thank you!

The issue was solved after the libXaw8 was installed.