Client PCs restarting without consent

We are experiencing an issue where a significant number of clients automatically reboot during the deployment process without client interaction. We can see client PCs restarting very quickly after deployment of Baseline starts. We have verified clients were not at their PCs at the time.

Automatic updates disabled

BES Action:

No user interface will be shown before running this action.

No message will be shown while running this action.

Users
This action will run independently of user presence.

User interface will be shown to all users.

Execution
This action starts 2/15/2019 6:00:00 AM client local time and ends 3/1/2019 6:00:00 PM client local time.

It will run at any time of day, on any day of the week.

If the action becomes relevant after it has successfully executed, the action will not be reapplied.

If the action fails, it will not be retried.

If a member action fails, the action group will continue to run.

Post-Action
After the action completes, the user will be requested to restart the computer.

The restart request will have a deadline of 3 days after it is initially shown.

When the deadline is reached, the user will be forced to respond to the restart request.

Yep, if there is no logged on user when the action runs the client will boot upon completion.
If there is a logged on user then the prompts and associated logic will kick in.

If the setting is 3 day deadline, will it still automatically restart the client machine? If so, how can I prevent this behavior? The settings clearly state once deadline is reached, keep the prompt in the foreground until they accept. Edit: these machines are restarting right away and not waiting til deadline.

Is there a logged on user?

If there is, but the client restarts immediately then you need to raise a case with IBM.

If there is not then this is the expected behaviour. From my perspective, I would be annoyed if the first thing that happened when I logged on to a client was that it told me it wanted to reboot.

There are two responses, that a post-action reboot is only.delayed when there is a user logged-on.

To get the behavior you seek, you’d need to send a second action just for the reboot, starting “now” and ending in three days. It needs to “show a message before running the action” and then reboot immediately when finished.

So the action only runs when someone accepts the action message, and once they’ve done that it reboots in a minute.

OK thanks, I feel a little better about the whole thing now… wanted to make sure BF isn’t yanking the rug out from under users while they are attempting to do work. I do have another issue tied to this. It has been 2.5 hours since the baseline went out. Despite BF rebooting the client machine automatically, still shows pending restart. Verified Patches were applied on target PC. BES Client has reported in to BF manager as recent as 5min ago… still showing pending restart. Edit: showing Pending Restart in the management console, not locally on the client.

If the action expires before the deadline then there won’t be a restart, but you indicated that the action has a much longer than default time range

There can be more than one restart required to clear out patches. We just report that there are restarts indicated in the registry. That being said there are some things that always put things there which is why we have an exclusion capability.