Client migrations and FailoverRelay setting

I have a fixlet to migrate (and upgrade) a BigFix client (windows and linux) from the v9 client to the v10 client, at the same time bringing in a new masthead file to migrate the client to a new BigFix deployment.

My clients have a _BESClient_RelaySelect_FailoverRelay setting set but when they are migrated, it seems that the value is getting cleared. Is there a way to tell the client to use a new _BESClient_RelaySelect_FailoverRelay after registration with the deployment? It would need to happen before it does a relay autoselection because it will then not be able to connect to a parent relay.

The trick is that your masthead swap needs to set the new “_BESClient_RelaySelect_FailoverRelay” setting after the “Old Client with old masthead” stops running and after the “new client with new masthead” starts running. To do this from the Actionscript that the Old Client ran requires you to use the Run command on a BAT or .SH which will “do the things” after the Old Client stops.

That’s what I tried but it still cleared out the setting. Once the agent is stopped and the the new masthead is dropped in, would the setting get set before starting the service again or after?

I would “do it twice”

stop BESClient service
set the reg key setting (or settings file for non-windows) to new Failover
swap the masthead
start the BESClient

...  bes client should see new masthead and reset, loosing the setting...
wait 1 minute, should be enough that the client reset finishes, we might also be able to look at Log File entries to determine when to proceed.

set the reg key setting again
restart the BESClient service again

@menglish may have more to add or variations on the above.

I can try that. Since I don’t want to remove all the other besclient.config settings, can I just append the new Failover name/value to the end of the file or do I need to find and replace the existing client setting (that will now have no value after registration) in the file?

I was able to get these command to set the failover relay url (http://xxxxx:52311/bfmirror/downloads/) that can be ran via my script executed in the fixlet. Thanks

Unix:
sed -i '/_BESClient_RelaySelect_FailoverRelay]/!b;n;cvalue = {parameter "failoverurl"}' /var/opt/BESClient/besclient.config

Windows
REG ADD HKLM\Software\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\Settings\Client\_BESClient_RelaySelect_FailoverRelay /v value /d "{parameter "failoverurl"}" /reg:32

1 Like