Client deployment tool

Hi

I am trying to deploy the BES Client to Windows machines on a separate domain from my bigfix console using the wizard and fixlets but I keep getting errors (cannot connect to IP…, cannot resolve the hostname.)

Please assist in what I need to get this to work.

1 Like

Pakiso,

Are you using IP or hostname?
Also, where is the Deployment tool you are using? In that domain? It should give you the opportunity to leverage a deployment point in that domain.

Jared

When you use the CDT wizard, an action is sent to the client that is running the Client Deployment Tool. That computer needs to resolve the hostnames of the target systems, the name resolution is not based on whether your console or server can resolve the target hostnames.

You can try using IP addresses instead of Hostnames for the target machines. However if the target has disabled NTLM authentication and only allows NTLMv2, it is likely that connecting with IP addresses will fail (showing an invalid user name or password in the client deploy tool log), and you’ll need to have working hostname resolution instead. Use a client that is already a member of the target domain to run the installation in that case, or at minimum have working cross-domain DNS set up.

Additionally the Windows protocols need to be enabled on the target machines, not blocked by firewalls, Windows Firewall, or any other endpoint security product. You’ll need SMB, RPC open, and the Remote Registry service running on the target machines.

1 Like

Hi Jared

I tried both IP and Hostname.

There is a server on the client’s side where I put the deployment tool on.
The server is on the domain.

kind regards

Hi Jason

Thank you very much for the insight, I am going to continue testing with what you have told me now.

kind regards

Hi there Jared

Does the client deployment tool copy over the masthead file too?

Hi there Jason

Does the client deployment tool copy over the masthead file too?

A couple of things could be happening here. Are you deploying the client without any client settings? If you are deploying to another domain can those machines resolve your BigFix server? If they cannot you will need to deploy the client with client settings that have it check into your DMZ relay or a relay it can resolve. Otherwise the client will try by default to check into the main BigFix server that it cannot communicate with. Here is an example of how you can deploy the client with client settings.

I would install the client manually on a machine that you will designate the relay and have that check in via your DMZ relay. Also make that machine the a client deployment tool location and then when you deploy the client use your new relay as Relay1 in your client settings.

Check the machines you attempted to install the client as well they could be attempting to check in but cant find the main bigfix server.

1 Like