Cleanup required on DSA in addition to the root master?

Every few months we run the the BigFix Administration Tool and perform a cleanup on computers and actions. We have only ran this on the master, with the assumption that DSA replication would take care of anything on the DSA.

Today I was checking on an issue and noticed our BFEnterprise DB is more than double in size and if I run the computer cleanup tool with identical settings, DSA shows 8XXX computers would be impacted while the root master only shows 1XXX.

With this discrepancy, I am beginning to believe the cleanup tool must be ran on both but wanted to validate.

Is cleanup required on DSA in addition to the root master?

I opened a ticket with HCL and verified. Yes, it is necessary to run the cleanup on both the master and the DSA.

The reasoning is “The reason behind the deleted/purged data not being replicated is to avoid the data being replicated back and forth between server if there is an issue with replication.
This also helps customers to perform cleanup on the Primary Server as soon as possible to keep it running smoothly, especially the BES Console.
And then leave the Secondary server with a different (longer) clean up schedule for their retention policy.”

HCL support put in an internal request to update documentation.

3 Likes