Cisco AnyConnect for Linux install

This is a common application, this should be a no brainer, it should not be this hard. :persevere:
Trying to install Cisco AnyConnect VPN for Linux - Deb flavors.
I can get the install to run via bifix, but I think because it runs as system, it partially installs and is non-functional.
so I am trying to get bigfix to run the install_vpn.sh as the current user. below is my attempt at getting it to run as the current user and not having any luck with it.

folder create "/tmp/vpn"
wait /bin/sh -c "tar -zxvf __Download/anyconnect-linux64-4.9.05042-predeploy-k9.tar.gz -C /tmp/vpn"
delete "/tmp/vpn/anyconnect-linux64-4.9.05042/vpn/license.txt"
wait /bin/sh -c "chmod +rwx /tmp/vpn/anyconnect-linux64-4.9.05042/vpn/vpn_install.sh"
wait su {name of current user} -c “(cd /tmp/vpn/anyconnect-linux64-4.9.05042/vpn && ./install_vpn.sh)”

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it, I have spent 3 days on this and the brick wall shows no sign of giving in.

See https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/reference/execution/override.html

Specifically RunAs=currentuser

I think it would be rare for a VPN install on Debian to not require root privilege to install? I’d revisit whether it actually needs to run as an interactive user.

1 Like

thank you for your reply.
I tried RunAs=currentuser this did not work.

Manually I can run the install, same exact set of files as root, or any user, if I sudo to elevate the normal user, and the install works fine.
If I run the install through Bigfix, it partially installs and is non-functional.
The only difference I can think of, is Bigfix runs as system (“i’m not a linux expert, so I don’t know if system is the exact same as root?, but on windows, system is not the same as admin”) , so I’m thinking, if I can run as current user, then elevate it, I might have some luck?
or it could be a bug?
the other thing I am thinking of trying, is using the shell script to action script converter, maybe that will somehow fix the issue.
worst case, I can track down the missing files and copy them separately.

thanks all

Have a look at the discussion on 'login shell’s at BESClient Unix changes environment variables and see whether that helps. The script may depend on some environment variable that isn’t defined on non-login shells.

1 Like

thank you, that explains how it might be dropping things during running the install shell script.