Checking for version given the following

(imported topic written by sam_milby91)

I’m new to igFix and hoping you can help me with this BigProblem of mine.

I’m having problems getting the value for checking having these 2 registry existing.

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\New Software 1.23.45”

Display Name = New Software 1.23.45

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\New Software 1.23.45Patch”

Display Name = New Software 1.23.45Patch

What I need to do is something like:

1. Check existence of “New Software 1.23.45”

2. Check the version extracting the “1.23.45” and if it is greater than or equal to 2.34.00 without having the other key with Patch getting in the way.

3. If the version is equal or greater then it pass

4. If the version is below then it fails

5. If it does not exist then it fails as well and not goes error.

thanks!

(imported comment written by jessewk)

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum and to BigFix.

Your question is very similar to this post: http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=1299

If you simply put in your registry key and change the version numbers, you’ll be okay. I don’t think you need to do anything to specifically exclude the ‘patch’ display name because from your post it looks like there are 2 separate keys. The relevance in the post I linked to will do an exact match on the key so the ‘patch’ key won’t interfere at all.

Jesse

(imported comment written by sam_milby91)

yeah i thought of that one too but the “patch” thing after the version makes it tricky on my part. how can i capture the numbers only without the letters before and after the vesions?

is it possible?

thanks.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey sam,

The “as version” inspector is quite handy at grabbing versions out of strings… For instance:

q:" New Software 1.23.45Patch" as version
A: 1.23.45

q: “New Software 1.23.45” as version

q: value “Display Name” of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\New Software 1.23.45Patch” of registry as string as version

Ben