Changing Multiple Custom Properties in Computer Summary via fixlet

setting “_Custom_1”=“RHEL” on “Tue, 17 Dec 2019 XX:XX:02 +XXXX” for client
setting “_Custom_2”=“Department Title” on “Tue, 17 Dec 2019 XX:XX:02 +XXXX” for client
setting “_Custom_3”=“Network Segment” on “Tue, 17 Dec 2019 XX:XX:02 +XXXX” for client
setting “_Custom_Tag”="" on “Tue, 17 Dec 2019 XX:XX:02 +XXXX” for client
setting “_Custom_Group”=“Network ID” on “Tue, 17 Dec 2019 XX:XX:02 +XXXX” for client

This is what I had pulled from the actionscript when changing settings on multiple computers at a time (Scrubbed). I was wondering if there is a usable method of replacing the date and time with a wilcard?

For example below, I would imagine this as a potential solution. Has anyone come across this before?
setting “_Custom_Group”=“Network ID” on " * " for client

You must use a time-formatted string here, which can be supplied via a relevance substitution enclosed in curly brackets. The most common (and safest) form is to use a timstamp of when the action is issued -

setting “_Custom_Group”=“Network ID” on “{parameter "action issue date" of action}” for client

There is a great discussion of the options, when to use {now} instead, etc. at Is the effective date value necessary for adding client settings?

3 Likes

This is what I had pulled from the actionscript when changing settings on a single* computer. (Scrubbed)

Thank you so much! I suppose the date value wouldn’t matter much. I wonder if it could be done shorter such as…

setting “_Custom_Group”=“Network ID” for client

But that is something I can test and perhaps update this thread with. In the meantime I can proceed with this info.

Thank you!

1 Like

Glad I could help. I think you’ll find pretty quickly that the effective date is required by the actionscript syntax (I don’t think the console would even let you save the action that way), but an explanation for the reasoning might help.

When you send actions from the console, there’s no guarantee that the clients are going to execute them in the same order that you send them. The ‘effective date’ ofna setting ensures that even if thr actions are executed out-of-order at the client, that the ‘correct’ setting is going to take effect.

At the client, the new value only takes effect if the ‘effective date’ of the new value is higher/newer than the effective date of the setting’s existing value. If the new setting is older, the change is ignored.

1 Like