Changing BES Console cache settings globally

Hi all,

I have a need to change BES Console cache settings globally to all our ~90 operators. We have a few console servers and all of those are Windows 2008 R2 based. I’m wondering that is there a “smart way” to change BES Console cache settings globally like the refresh time with BES Admin tool?

I know these values are located under HKCU in registry and I could simply use group policy or startup script to change these values but I’d like to know how others have played with the console cache settings.

What settings are you looking to change?

I’d like to change BES Console cache setting to “Keep partial cache on disk”. The default is “Keep full cache on disk - Moderate”. I’d also like to know that is there a way to change the default cache setting?

1 Like

I’ve been looking for some kind of page or document about the command line commands for BESAdmin.exe but haven’t found one. If there is one, I’d like to see it as well.

1 Like

Most of the settings for the console are per-user and stored here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BigFix\Enterprise Console\Preferences

You should be able to set them through Group Policy, or through a BigFix task that sets Local Group Policy.

I don’t think all of the console options are well documented though, and I find that frustrating.

Hello Jimmy,

I believe this is the page you are looking for.
Additional administration commands

1 Like

Here is the script that I’ve used to change the needed values in my case:

@echo off
reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BigFix\Enterprise Console\Preferences" /v UseSQLiteCaching | Find "0x1"

IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 1 goto turnon
If %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 goto turnoff

goto end
:turnoff
reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BigFix\Enterprise Console\Preferences" /v UseSQLiteCaching /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
goto end

:turnon

goto end

:end
@exit

As @jgstew said, these settings can be managed through group policy. You can also simply add the the script as a start-up script in path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup on a console machine.

Please feel free to use this script as a template to change the console settings.