Cannot Start Bigfix BesClient Service

Hi All,

I want to ask about besclient service. In our computer target there is a besclient installed using client deployment tool.
Previously the besclient works fine, but now it suddenly stopped and if we try to start it, it will stopped automatically.

Do you ever have this issue ?

In the log we only find below error
At 08:10:51 +0700 -
Unhandled error: class IllegalFileName
Client shutdown (Unexpected error)

Please advise,

Many Thanks

I have experienced this in my enviroment 2 or 3 times. I ended up just re-installing the client.

1 Like

Did the masthead file get removed, overwritten or corrupted?

–Mark

try to delete the old actionsite.afxm and replace it with the new one!
that should possibly work.

Hi mfuglem, I already tried to reinstall the agent both using client deployment tool and install manual from computer client but it still cannot be started. But if I change the “logon as” in the services.msc for besclient from local system to domain admin and it can be started successfully just now,

I am still confused about the root caused from the log file, i only find that error,

Hi mtrain & techadmin, I have not checked yet the actionsite.afxm yet, I will checked it later

Thanks All

Anything in the Windows Event logs that might indicate a systemic related problem?

Hi bigfixninja,
I have not checked also in the windows system event log, I will check this part also later,
But today is national holiday in my country, i can give the result back to you in monday nextweek

Many thanks

Hi mtrain and techadmin,
I have checked the masthead file, the file is fine, and it tells that the computer client report to the correct Bigfix server also,
So I do not delete the old file and replace it with the new one.

Hi bigfixninja,
The computer client cannot open the Event Viewer, from the error message it seems that the snap-in for MMC is not installed correctly,

Many thanks

I wonder if the fact that the BES Client cannot open the Windows Event log is an unhandled exception for the client. Please verify healthy functionality of Windows Event viewer and post back with results.

Hi bigfixninja,
Okay, I will get back to you after get the result

Many thanks

Hi bigfixninja,

Sorry to make you wait for a long time,

Herewith the screenshot from event viewer, there is also give me an error message about the BESClient,
It said that “the description for Event ID 7 from source BESClient cannot be found”
"Faulting application name: BESClient.exe, version 9.2.2.21

Please advise,

Many thanks,
achmad

Does anything get written to the client’s log file?
C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\__BESData\__Global\Logs\YYYYMMDD.log

Hi briancanfixit,

In the log files shows below message

Current Date: June 30, 2016
Client version 9.2.2.21 built for Windows 5.0 i386 running on WinVer 6.1.7600
Current Balance Settings: Use CPU: True Entitlement: 0 WorkIdle: 10 SleepIdle: 480
ICU data directory: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client’
ICU init status: SUCCESS
ICU report character set: windows-1252
ICU fxf character set: windows-1252
ICU local character set: windows-1252
ICU transcoding between fxf and local character sets: DISABLED
ICU transcoding between report and local character sets: DISABLED
At 13:56:47 +0700 -
Starting client version 9.2.2.21
FIPS mode disabled by default.
Cryptographic module initialized successfully.
Using crypto library libBEScrypto - OpenSSL 1.0.1j-fips 15 Oct 2014
At 13:56:48 +0700 -
Restricted mode
Initializing Site: BES Asset Discovery
Initializing Site: BES Inventory and License
Initializing Site: BES Support
Initializing Site: BigFix DSS Software Asset Management
Initializing Site: BigFix Labs
Initializing Site: Client Manager for TPMfOSD
Initializing Site: Enterprise Security
Initializing Site: IBM Software Inventory
Initializing Site: OS Deployment
Initializing Site: Patching Support
Initializing Site: Power Management
Initializing Site: Software Distribution
Initializing Site: TAMIT Integration
Initializing Site: Tivoli Remote Control
Initializing Site: Updates for Windows Applications
Initializing Site: mailboxsite
Initializing Site: opsite106
Beginning Relay Select
At 13:56:49 +0700 -
RegisterOnce: Attempting secure registration with 'https://relay_hostname:52311/cgi-bin/bfenterprise/clientregister.exe?RequestType=RegisterMe60&ClientVersion=9.2.2.21&Body=5737387&SequenceNumber=497&MinRelayVersion=7.1.1.0&CanHandleMVPings=1&Root=http://bigfix_hostname%3a52311&AdapterInfo=5c-26-0a-05-98-16_10.22.184.0%2f25_10.22.184.66_1&AdapterIpv6=5c-26-0a-05-98-16%5efe80%3a%3ab1cf%3a4bae%3a4d3d%3af1d4%2f64_1’
At 13:56:50 +0700 -
Unrestricted mode
Configuring listener as wake-on-lan forwarder(AdapterInfo=5c-26-0a-05-98-16_10.22.184.0/25_10.22.184.66_1).
Registered with url 'https://relay_hostname:52311/cgi-bin/bfenterprise/clientregister.exe?RequestType=RegisterMe60&ClientVersion=9.2.2.21&Body=5737387&SequenceNumber=497&MinRelayVersion=7.1.1.0&CanHandleMVPings=1&Root=http://bigfix_hostname%3a52311&AdapterInfo=5c-26-0a-05-98-16_10.22.184.0%2f25_10.22.184.66_1&AdapterIpv6=5c-26-0a-05-98-16%5efe80%3a%3ab1cf%3a4bae%3a4d3d%3af1d4%2f64_1’
Registration Server version 9.2.2.21 , Relay version 9.2.1.48
Relay does not require authentication.
Client has an AuthenticationCertificate
Relay selected: relay_hostname. at: 10.22.84.16:52311 on: IPV4
Unhandled error: class IllegalFileName
Client shutdown (Unexpected error)

Please advise,

Many thanks,
achmad

Have you completely removed and reinstalled bigfix?
Is it just this one machine that is not working, or many?

1 Like

Hi briancanfixit,

I have not tried to use computer remover,
Just uninstall through control panel, run ccleaner and restart the client computer,

I am not sure if only this computer that come with this issue, I have not checked the other computer that has grey icon in the Console dashboard,

many thanks,
achmad

You should use the BES Removal Utility to remove BigFix before reinstalling it. It removes registry entries as well as the executables.

–Mark

Hi mtrain,

Is it different with the ccleaner to remove the registry entries ?

many thanks,
achmad

Hi Achmad … I don’t use CCleaner so I can’t comment on it … but I know I’ve read in this forum in the past that the recommended way to remove BigFix is to use the remover tool, and it’s never failed me.

–Mark

Hi mtrain,

Yes, you are right,
now the BESClient can be started successfully, I use BES Remove Utility to remove BESClient software then install BESClient again

It works now :slight_smile:

thank you very much guys,

many thanks
achmad

1 Like

This works great thanks for info ! ! :grinning: