Cannot connect to WebUI

I am having an issue connecting to the WebUI. It started with trying to log on to the WebUI but getting an invalid credentials message and after a restart of the WebUI service and a server reboot I just get “Cannot reach this page” I have a case open with support, but after doing some digging I have found that my BigFix server isn’t listening on Ports 80 and 443. I am checking with my network team. Also I would like to know how I can check to see if my SSL Certificates are expired. Any assistance would be great.

Did you find a solution for this, I’m having the same problem (I think :slightly_smiling_face:), also getting a “Cannot display this page” and connection refused, it turns out, that nothing is listening on port 80 or 443 on my WebUI server.

Thanks in advance

On your WebUI server, isn’t there a node.exe process launching the below command line?

“C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES WebUI\WebUI\node.exe” “C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES WebUI\WebUI\service-app\node_modules\bfappmonitor\lib\server.js”

That’s the process that should be listening on HTTP and HTTPS ports.

My BigFix server and WebUI server is running on Linux RedHat. On my WebUI server, I have the “/opt/BESWebUI/bin/BESWebUI” service running, I assume this is the one, who should be listening on port 80/443.

No, it’s not the WebUI service that listens. On RedHat, the following process should be listening on HTTP and HTTPS ports:

/var/opt/BESWebUI/WebUI/node /var/opt/BESWebUI/WebUI/service-app/node_modules/bfappmonitor/lib/server.js

I can’t find that process running on my WebUI server.

My /var/opt/BESWebUI/WebUI/ folder only contains the following :
db_config.json
logs

Anything useful in /var/opt/BESWebUI/service-wrapper.log?

I don’t think so, the only messages we get is :
Fri, 01 Feb 2019 11:09:01 +0100 – WebUI service version 9.5.9.62 starting
Fri, 01 Feb 2019 11:09:01 +0100 – OpenSSL Initialized (Non-FIPS Mode)
Fri, 01 Feb 2019 11:09:01 +0100 – Using OpenSSL crypto library libBEScrypto - OpenSSL 1.0.2j-fips 26 Sep 2016
Fri, 01 Feb 2019 11:09:02 +0100 – [WebUI] Found updated WebUI Common site WebUI Common v49 available for download
Fri, 01 Feb 2019 11:09:12 +0100 – [WebUI] WebUISiteDownloader error: HTTP Error 28: Timeout was reached: Connection timed out after 10009 milliseconds
Fri, 01 Feb 2019 11:24:12 +0100 – [WebUI] Found updated WebUI Common site WebUI Common v49 available for download
Fri, 01 Feb 2019 11:24:22 +0100 – [WebUI] WebUISiteDownloader error: HTTP Error 28: Timeout was reached: Connection timed out after 10003 milliseconds
Fri, 01 Feb 2019 11:39:22 +0100 – [WebUI] Found updated WebUI Common site WebUI Common v49 available for download
Fri, 01 Feb 2019 11:39:32 +0100 – [WebUI] WebUISiteDownloader error: HTTP Error 28: Timeout was reached: Connection timed out after 10010 milliseconds

It seems like the WebUI server is able to communicate with the BESRootServer system as far as that concerns the availability of v49 of the WebUI Common site, but then it’s not able to retrieve related content from the BESRootServer. Is there anything that might block the retrieving of that content?

No, firewall is open for port 80, 443 and 52315.

Can see port 52315 is listening on the BESRootServer.

None of the 3 ports is listening on the WebUI server.

Furthermore, I don’t see any logfiles in the /var/opt/BESWebUI/WebUI/logs/ folder on the WebUI server.

The retrieving of the WebUI Common site is the first step of the initialization of the WebUI. As long as that fails, there’s basically no WebUI yet to connect to. That’s why nothing is listening on 80/443, and no log file is there.

During the initialization, the WebUI is expected to connect to the BESRootServer (through ports 52311 and 52315), retrieve the content of the WebUI Common site first, and then the content of some more WebUI sites (which sites depends on license entitlements).

In a further initialization phase, WebUI will also need to access the BFEnterprise database through the DB2 port, so possible firewall on DB2 system should allow the DB2 port.

So overall, from a WebUI standpoint, the firewall of the BESRootServer system should allow ports 52311 and 52315, and the firewall of the DB2 system should allow port 50000 (assuming default).

This makes sense :slightly_smiling_face:

All the ports mentioned is open, except 52311. I haven’t found any documentation saying this should be open.

Perhaps WebUI doc assumes port 52311 is already open otherwise many Platform scenarios would be problematic :slight_smile:

(e.g. Console and Relays communicate through 52311, so communication with BESRootServer wouldn’t be possible without 52311 being open)

Yes, maybe your right and I know they recommend to use a relay as WebUI server, we do not since our relays are placed on Windows servers and BESRootServer is on Linux. Documentation says that WebUI and BESRootServer has to be on same OS.
Our WebUI server communicates with the BESRootServer through our relays and top relays, thats why we don’t have 52311 open directly between our WebUI server and BESRootServer. I will ask our network guys to open port 52311 between the servers.

Problem solved by opening port 52311 between the WebUI server and BESRootServer.

1 Like