Can NOT Access BigFix console

Hi,

I have ran some critical fixlet/tasks from BigFix console which I do not recall but after that suddenly BIgFix console has frozen and I am NOT able to login. I get the following error.

The database being connected to has a database version of ‘Enterprise 10.90’, and this application requires a database version of ‘Enterprise 10.87’

I am new to using this. Neither I can find out how to find the last ran fixlet/task nor do know how to rollback that last action.

Someone please guide me.

Thank You,
Sangita

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on performing your first BigFix Root Server Upgrade.

But, now that you’ve upgraded your Root Server, your older version of BigFix Console will not be able to connect to it. You have a couple of options now -

1. upgrade all of your Consoles to match your new version of BigFix Server
  2. Restore your Root Server from backups.

Both of these are probably not how you planned to spend your Wednesday, so if you have any peers in your company who are more experienced with BigFix, I’d strongly advise you consult with them first.

Those internal database versions indicate that you’ve upgraded your root server from 10.0.9 (BFEnterprise database version 10.87) to 10.0.10 (BFEnterprise database version 10.90).

If you choose to roll back to the earlier version, first take stock of what OS and Database backups you have available; read through the Backup & Restore documentation at Running backup and restore; and I’d strongly recommend you open a Support ticket for help with the process.

If you choose instead to go forward and stick with the 10.0.10 version, then download and run the BigFix 10.0.10 Console installer from https://support.bigfix.com/bes/release/10.0/patch10/

Once you get logged in, you’ll want to check the ‘BES Support’ site for any other 10.0.10 upgrade fixlets - depending on what you ran before, you may still need to upgrade Web Reports, WebUI, Server Plugin Services, or some other components to keep matching versions. You can continue to run download 10.0.9 Relays and Clients, but the Server components (including Consoles) should all stick at a common version.

Thank you very much for the reply Jason. It was really a big help. I have upgraded console installed on my Windows desktop. I could login. I have another issue now. I need to run few routine scans like “Initiate Software Scan”, “Upload Software Scan Results (9.2.35.0)”, “Run Capacity Scan and Upload Results (9.2.35.0)” but in each of this action I could see Applicable computers count is less than the total computers. Pls refer the screenshot as attached.

I want to run the scan against all 54 computers perhaps it does not act on them at all. I tried clearing console cache also. Pls guide.

Thanks,
Sangita

Hi Jason,

In addition to previous email, basically I am looking for clearing discrepancy on my ILMT home page (Dashboard)

I am trying to make following values zero but somehow I ma not able to.
45 Missing Scan (84%)
40 Scan Not Uploaded (75%)
38 No Scan Data (72%)

I am new to BigFix and ILMT and learning with the experience or issues coming across. Pls advice.

Thanks,
Sangita

The numbers you are seeing to initiate software scan are related to where your ILMT Scanner is installed, and the overall applicable count of 54 that you are seeing is related to your ILMT site subscription.

Verify whether the ILMT scanner is installed on every device that is eligible for the ILMT site.

You should investigate fixlet relevance and validate them for the failing machines if they are still not applicable.

And related to your dashboard numbers, they will eventually grow when you have sufficient data based on scan+import.

IBM KB articles:

I also found this PDF ILMT guide:
ILMT.pdf (5.8 MB)

Hi VK,

Thanks for the reply. Even if I try to run the action “Install and upgrade scanner” on selected all 54 computers’ it just runs for 2 computers. I do not understand why does any of the action run on all the selected computers?

Each Task or Fixlet will only run on the computers that are “Relevant” for the task, based on the detection logic that can be found on the Relevance tab.

This allows, for instance, setting up a Policy Action that is set to never expire and to reapply whenever it becomes relevant again, for the Scanner Installation. If you target “All Computers” dynamically, then any new computers you add later will install the scanner, and any computers where a user removes the scanner will become Relevant again and re-run the action.

Relevance also helps with sequencing and I think is leading to some of your confusion. A computer only becomes Relevant to the “Upload Scan Results” task after it runs a Scan; and it only becomes relevant to the “Initiate Scan” task after the scanner is installed.

I realize you’re probably an ILMT-only customer, but in the case of Patching, we could create a single patch Baseline that applies to all Windows computers; when we action the baseline, each computer would only execute those Fixlets/patches that are Relevant to it (a Windows 10 client would skip all the patches for Windows Server; a Server would skip all the Office patches if it doesn’t have Office installed; etc.)

HI Jason,

After upgrading the ILMT I was upgrading different components to matching 10.0.10 version and suddenly when the tasks were running my ILMT web URL and BigFix console stopped working. Even after rebooting the server issue is not getting fixed. All the services are up and running fine. I could see the following errors repeatedly :

1|Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:59:05 +0000|INFO||||||BES Root Server version 10.0.10.46 built for RedHat 6 x86_64 running on sysname:Linux release:3.10.0-1160.108.1.el7.x86_64 arch:x86_64, starting
1|Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:01:56 +0000|INFO|IEMAdmin|RESTAPI|AUTHZ|LOGIN|10.129.222.152|user “IEMAdmin” (1): Successful log in. (API Connection)
1|Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:02:10 +0000|INFO||||||BES Root Server received stop request
1|Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:02:10 +0000|INFO||||||BES Root Server shutting down

Pls refer the attachments.
BigFix_Console_Error

Pls guide how could I fix this issue.

Thanks,
Sangita

Looks like the services were stopped, likely for a shutdown/reboot.
Try starting them again. I don’t recall the exact service names and I’m away from computer now, but check /etc/init.d for the services and start them with service besrootserver start (repeat for each of the server services, and the capitalization is important it needs to match the files in /etc/init.d )

Hi Jason,

Pls elaborate what do you mean by " start them with service besrootserver star"

Thanks,
Sangita

I mean there is a loop of that block…

1|Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:59:05 +0000|INFO||||||BES Root Server version 10.0.10.46 built for RedHat 6 x86_64 running on sysname:Linux release:3.10.0-1160.108.1.el7.x86_64 arch:x86_64, starting
1|Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:01:56 +0000|INFO|IEMAdmin|RESTAPI|AUTHZ|LOGIN|10.129.222.152|user “IEMAdmin” (1): Successful log in. (API Connection)
1|Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:02:10 +0000|INFO||||||BES Root Server received stop request
1|Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:02:10 +0000|INFO||||||BES Root Server shutting down

I have restarted services in the following manner but no lock :

Steps to start BigFix:
Run the following services in the specified order:

service besserver start
service besfilldb start
service besgatherdb start
service beswebreports start
service besclient start

Steps to stop BigFix:
Run the following services in the specified order:

service besclient stop
service beswebreports stop
service besgatherdb stop
service besfilldb stop
service besserver stop

All the services are up and running but still ILMT web URL is not loading and also BigFix console is NOT working.

You’ll probably need to open a support ticket then. Without a clear idea of what you have going on it’s difficult to say. I.e. have you turned on the Red Hat Firewall, have you broken your routing, is your name resolution working, … there’s a lot that can block a connection between your Console and the Root Server.

Your first log snippet indicated the services had been shut down, but if you’re sure they’re running now then you need to determine what’s happening network-wise between your Console and the Root Server.

Oh - wait a minute - I can see now in your Console screenshot “Couldn’t resolve hsot name” - either you typed in the name wrong, or your DNS or name resolution is down.

Is the ILMT application running? If it’s installed on the Linux server, check if it’s running or restart the application. Then check the application tema.log for any errors.