Can BigFix supports the VMware ESXi Host OS(6.x) patching

Hi All,

I am looking for a solution which can help to deploy the patches to VMware ESXi host operating system machines. Trying to find out if we can deploy the patches to ESXi host operating systems(Version 6.x) using BigFix supported Management Extender plugin?

If yes, Can someone please share the link to the document where I can find the steps to perform this(Steps which need to be followed after setting up the management extender).

Any help will be much appreciated!

You’d need the BigFix agent running in the operating system of the virtual machine, to apply OS patches.

The Management Extender is to take action using VCenter itself - like ‘snapshot the virtual machine’ or ‘create a new virtual machine from a template’

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the Quick reply.
Also, Apologies for wrongly mentioning the Host OS as guest OS. I have just made the correction in my requirement.

We are having the Multiple VMware’s with ESXi Host OS, on top of that multiple VM’s(guest OS) are running.
With BES client installation we are already patching the VM’s(Guest Operating systems ).

Need the solution to patch the Host OS which is ESXi version 6.x. There is no client available for ESXi systems as there is no place in the hypervisor to put a client. Can we setup the Management Extender to patch these ESXi hosts? If yes what are the steps I need to follow after I setup the Extender? …Thanks!