Calling reserved properties 'Device Type' & 'Computer Type'

Hello,
I’m trying to call reserved properties ‘Device Type’ and ‘Computer Type’ and the value for property name in our config file uses the format : SiteName-AnalysisName-PropertyColumnPosition (Example: ActionSite-HardwareAttributes-3)

I found that reserved properties are part of master action site and can be referred by ‘ActionSite’, the analysis name is empty when I look for ‘Device Type’ and ‘Computer Type’ properties and unsure about the column position since a few team members start indexing with 0 while a few suggest starting with position 1.

Could you provide a bit more details on what you’re trying to do? That context could help us provide better guidance here…

That format looks like the property identification for the ServiceNow Data Flow connector. Is that the context being used?

If so, then Global/Reserved Properties are referred to by the middle item ( ‘item 1’ )of their Property ID. Here’s a Session Relevance query you can use to retrieve the Property ID in the format used by the Data Flow. If this is for some other/custom integration, I think you’d have to ask your developer how to reference Global/Reserved Properties.

Example: Retrieve definitions and results for property named “OS”

((if exists source analysis of it then (name of site of source analysis of it & "-" & name of source analysis of it & "-" & item 2 of id of it as string) else (item 1 of id of it as string)) of it, name of it, id of it, name of site of source analysis of it | "none", name of source analysis of it | "none", (it, multiplicity of it) of unique values of values of results of it) of bes properties whose (name of it = "OS")

Sample results:

BigFix ServiceNow Data Flow-Hardware Attributes-9, OS, ( 15545, 1000, 9 ), BigFix ServiceNow Data Flow, Hardware Attributes, ( Win2008R2, 1 )
BigFix ServiceNow Data Flow-Hardware Attributes-9, OS, ( 15545, 1000, 9 ), BigFix ServiceNow Data Flow, Hardware Attributes, ( Win2012R2, 1 )
BigFix ServiceNow Data Flow-Hardware Attributes-9, OS, ( 15545, 1000, 9 ), BigFix ServiceNow Data Flow, Hardware Attributes, ( Win2016, 9 )
5, OS, ( 2299732975, 5, 1 ), none, none, ( CentOS 4/5 or later (64-bit), 2 )
5, OS, ( 2299732975, 5, 1 ), none, none, ( Linux CentOS 6.10 (2.6.32-754.25.1.el6.x86_64), 1 )
5, OS, ( 2299732975, 5, 1 ), none, none, ( Linux CentOS 7.7.1908 (3.10.0-1062.9.1.el7.x86_64), 1 )

Here we can see there are two different properties, with three results on each. The first is defined in site “BigFix ServiceNow Data Flow”, in the Analysis “Hardware Attributes”, and it is property 9. The second, which has no Source Analysis and no Source Site, is the Reserved property for “OS”. We can reference this in the ServiceNow Data Flow as

<property displayname="Operating System" columnname="5" datatype="string" />

1 Like

Hello Aram,
We’re trying to get values from BigFix into ServiceNow as part of ServiceNow Data Flow Connector.

Thank you Jason.
We’re implementing it for ServiceNow Data Flow Connector and trying to get ‘Device Type’ and ‘Computer Type’ values.
Unfortunately we’re getting ‘Invalid Configuration’ error after using the following:

<property displayname="Device Type" columnname="25" datatype="string"/>
<property displayname="Computer Type" columnname="29" datatype="string"/>

Do you have columns to match it on the ServiceNow side of the this data flow?

You may need to open a Support Incident so the team can review the entire configuration with you.

Checking the config I was using in my lab, I am not actually using any of the Global Properties in my flow, but I had some notes from testing Global Properties. If you have matching columns on the ServiceNow side, one more thing I might try is to use the property iDs without quotes

<property displayname="Device Type" columnname=25 datatype="string"/>
<property displayname="Computer Type" columnname=29 datatype="string"/>

In my notes I had them quoted but maybe that was a mistake, reading the docs at https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/integrations/Ecosystem/Install_Config/c_refs_cfile.html we describe it as an integer but don’t actually have an example using a Global Property.