Block Windows 11

Does anyone have an effective way of blocking the Windows 11 update from appearing or being installed BUT still allow Windows 10 updates to be installed? Thinking of the registry since not all of our devices are domain joined.

In my search, one proposed solution is to disable Automatic Updates through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU However, this looks like it would also block other Windows 10 updates.

Try the following to block Win11 on your Win10 systems:

regset "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]" "TargetReleaseVersion"=dword:00000001
regset "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]" "TargetReleaseVersionInfo"="21H1"
regset "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]" "ProductVersion"="Windows 10"

Made an adjustment to include the “ProductVersion” and “Windows 10” value as described in this article: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3232632/how-to-block-windows-10-version-21h2-and-windows-11-from-installing.html

4 Likes

This is very helpful. Thanks @gus! I will test it out and report back.

That may take a while though. I guess Windows 11 is still rolling out slowly and there is no way to force the upgrade to appear in Windows Update. I’d have to wait until it shows up on my test device then, deploy this fixlet.