Blackberry support

(imported topic written by riml)

Hi,

Does anyone was able to pull information from blackberry devices using the management extender for exchange? We have extracted information from IOS, android and windows phone devices but so far I cannot see the blackberries. I am using version 9 already and the exchange is 2010.

Any assistance is welcome

Best Regards

Riml

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi riml,

Are you using Blackberry 10 devices that are connected to Exchange using Activesync?

Ben

(imported comment written by riml)

Hi BenKus,

We have blackberry devices that are connected to Blackberry Enterprise Server. Is that an Issue?

Best Regards

Riml

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Hi Riml,

The first thing to do for missing devices is to check the " …\BigFix Enterprise\Management Extender\Plugins\Microsoft Exchange 1\DeviceReports" directory. (note that “1” may change depending on the particular Management extender)

This contains all device reports that the exchange plugin was able to “pull” from the Exchange server.

If your device is there it means The plugin can get the data (you’ll need to look for the user who registered the device to exchange in the file name)

All device types should be created in the same way - if it can get into Exchange, we should be able to pull the data

You’ll find a daily log for the plugin in ."…BigFix Enterprise\Management Extender\Plugins\Microsoft Exchange 1\plugin\ExchangePlugin_YYYY-MM-DD.log"

You can increase the logging level used in this log file by adding debug=true in the plugin-settings.ini file in the “plugin” directory.

If you see no errors there, you can look in the proxy-agent log at: “C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\Management Extender__Logs\ProxyAgent.log”

Hope that helps,

Gary.

Hi Gary,

We are able to list many devices in that directory, all are Iphones, Ipads, Symbian and Windows Mobile. But We cannot see the Blackberries. They are connected to the Blackberry Enterprise server which is connected to the Exchange. Maybe thats the issue?

best regards

Riml

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Hi,

BB10 and playbook 2 can sync directly with Exchange , but other BB versions may require a third party bit of software (I’ve seen AstraSync mentioned).

The more common way I believe is that the Blackberry BES server sits in parallel with the Exchange server. The BB devices communicate with the BES server - and the BES Server will manage the communication with Exchange. I think this is the setup your customer has. This means that the devices are not actually stored in Exchange - but in the BES server which is why the Exchange plugin is not seeing them.

The good news is that we will have a Blackberry plugin which works in a similar way to the Exchange plugin - only it will allow the devices to be managed by communicating with the BES server. So you would have a management extender solely for managing BB. This should be released at the end of this month in our Q1 release.

You can find more info on our BlackBerry plans here: https://w3-connections.ibm.com/blogs/dfecfe17-5e10-47c3-8616-3b06336874b7/entry/understanding_blackberry_support_rim_s_plans?lang=en_us

Gary

Thank you for the information. I will be looking forward for the new version!

best regards

riml