BigFix WebUI - failed when converting date and/or time from character string

Hi All

I get an error when opening Patch Policies in WebUI - ‘Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string.’. So basically this page does not work, I can’t view the list of all patch policies. Autopatch logs suggest that query from SQL fails with the same error.

I can still access specific Patch Policy by modifying url manually and also edit it, everything seems to work. I can see that Source Release Date has value “Invalid date” on only one of the policies what is most probably the root cause of this issue.

Anyone had such problem? I asked DB team and they don’t see any error on SQL side. Maybe I could correct this value on DB directly but any idea in which table I should look for it? I assume that this could be fixed by refreshing this policy but unfortunately we are in the middle of patching cycle and I can’t do that.

Thanks!

Have you tried restarting the BESWebUI service on your server?

If the issue persists, then what errors do you see in the pps.log under <DRIVE>:\<PATH>\BES WebUI\WebUI\logs (assuming Windows OS) on your WebUI server?

Yes, I have turned it off and on again :wink: even the whole server :).

In pps.log I can see many errors regarding lack of permissions to mdm and insights app. But they seem to appear from time to time for longer than we experience the issue in WebUI.

Autopatch logs point to failed query from SQL server. I can send you the query in DM if you wish. Autopatch errors appear on each attempt to enter policies in WebUI:

Tue, 02 Feb 2021 13:53:43 GMT bf:bfdbpool:error Failed to query the BigFix database. Failed with error: { RequestError: Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string.
Tue, 02 Feb 2021 13:53:43 GMT bf:bfdata-autopatch:patches:error Failed to generate custom patch list for given policy definition
Tue, 02 Feb 2021 13:53:43 GMT bf:bfdata-autopatch:patches:error RequestError: Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string.

If you need any other info or if I should open a support ticket then let me know. I was hoping that maybe there is just an invalid character or something in this patch policy SQL table which we could easily fix. All errors point to invalid date in Patch Policy ID 4 (which is currently turned on) and when I go directly to url of that policy I can see “Invalid date” in last refresh field. All other policies look ok.

You could run the “Deploy/Update WebUI Database Configuration” fixlet (ID#2687) from the “BES Support” external site to ensure that all of your MSSQL config is correct for your WebUI instance. If that does not fix the MSSQL errors in the autopatch.log, then you’ll need to open a support case with our L2 team.

Will do so, thank you for support.

1 Like

Quick update on this issue. Non of the suggested task helped. We also tried to refresh policy once the patching cycle ended. We decided to delete this policy and create a new one what solved the problem. WebUI is working properly again.

1 Like