BigFix Training for non-Master Operators?

I know about (and have taken most of) the official BigFix training courses, but these are largely targeted at Master Operators who will set up and configure the service(s) (with the possible exception of 401). I also know that there a many videos available on LinkedIn and YouTube.

Before I set about trying to do so, has anyone put together a collection of these videos or other information sources to guide a new non-Master Operator through the basics of using BigFix? Stuff like installing and troubleshooting the Agent, creating your first action, creating a Web Report, etc.

Anyone? :slight_smile:

I don’t believe there’s a centralized collection of videos or other information specifically tailored to guide new non-Master Operators through the basics of using BigFix. In the IT world, professionals often learn through hands-on experience and exposure to various scenarios. While individual organizations may have their own internal documentation and training processes.

However HCL’s official BigFix training program, such as the BigFix Foundation 101 course, offers comprehensive training designed to educate BigFix Admins on BigFix functionality and usage.

I never attended the courses but we did have a colleague who did recently and he shared that the course contains well-documented agenda when it starts, so they can easily just skip the “admin sections”, nobody would question why you attended only half of the modules in a free training course…

If you’re going to do something like that though (skip half the course) please let the instructor know beforehand…if we start having classes where people quit showing up, we’d probably take that as a sign we’re not teaching it well.

3 Likes

For better or for worse, this would need to be “training” that the user could work through at their own pace as they have opportunity. As much as I love the BigFix Foundation training, we have folks that can’t spare even a few days to be away from their responsibilities. Thanks for the suggestions, though! I may take the general framework of the 101 class and look for HCL YouTube content that speaks to the applicable portions…

Just a +1 that there is a need for this kind of training. My organization has 3 MOs and ~100+ non-MOs. Most of the official curriculum is aimed at MOs. The official curriculum and training team are all top-notch, but having some courses aimed at people who live inside BigFix without actually “running” BigFix would likely fill a training gap for many organizations.

1 Like

+1 as well. There’s definitely a need for training on relevance and action script, developing custom content, wrangling deployments, and the like. All independent of administrating an instance.