Bigfix server version linux

Hello,
I need help in this please

1. How to get bigfix server version in Linux.
  2. where to find license.pvk file
  3. How to import masthead file to use it again in migration?
    Thank you in Advance

For a new Red Hat-based install Iā€™ll assume you also need a new DB2 database installationā€¦ If thatā€™s the case, you can download DB2, our BigFix limited-use license for DB2, and the BigFix installers through the License Key Center. Links & instructions for the Key Center are at https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0093384

There is no ā€œstandard pathā€ for the certificate private key (pvk file). Best-practice is for the file to not be on the server at all, but stored on external media or in a privileged access system like Cyber-Ark or LastPass or Vault or similar. That said, many customers do store it on their root server but you may need to search for it.

When you run the server installer script, it will prompt for whether to use an existing key, and then will ask you for the paths to the masthead, certificate, and pvk files. It will also ask for the paths where you downloaded & extracted the DB2 installer, and will install & configure the DB2 database for you.

The masthead lists the root server URL, so in order to move clients youā€™d want to setup a DNS alias to direct the original masthead name to the new root server.

This is an area where your TA or Services can help, so let us know if you need some assistance.

1 Like

i installed ILMT all in one installation so it hasnā€™t prompted to me in the installation steps.
what if i need to use the old masthead, should i replace the masthead file in new server with the one in the old server?
also i have installed ALL IN ONE for the first time and need to import license.pvk password to use it in BESADMIN file

Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m not familiar with ILMT all-in-one. Letā€™s see whether you get other replies here, else you may need to open a support incident.

A normal BigFix install would have prompted during the installation, whether you wanted to create a new masthead (from a license.crt); existing masthead (with new keys); or existing masthead and existing keys.

Once installed, old keys cannot be reused on the new server, as far as I know, unless you reinstall again.

1 Like

Did you perform silence install with All-in-One installer? If so the details will be in install_response.txt file. Here are the documentation links for All-in-One install options
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/license-metric-tool?topic=installer-option-installing-all-in-one

Hi,
regarding your entry questions:

1. How to get bigfix server version in Linux.
    ā€œrpm -qa |grep -i besā€ if you run on rhel
  2. ā€œlocate license.pvkā€ or ā€œfind / -name license.pvkā€

In addition to JasonWalkers links maybe the documentation about migration linux server might be helpful:
https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Config/r_mgrt_server_linux.html

The masthead file is related to the servers hostname, means you have to keep the hostname on a possible new server.

2 Likes

Hi @MatthiasW @JasonWalker,
Thank you for your support.
Iā€™ve just migrated Bigfix server to a new one using same masthead and Backup/Restore server files.
i gave the new server the same hostname and ip address but clients still greyed and canā€™t be registered to the new server until i restarted BESclient service on some clients.
My question here:
should i restart BESClient service in all machines after the migration or what is the best practice for this ?

You restored the database as well?
I wouldnā€™t expect to have to restart the clients & relays, but that might be helpful based on how they may have cached DNS resolution results for the root server and whether the IP address associated with the name may have changed. Some of that may be OS-dependent on the client.

1 Like

yes i 've restored databases BFENT and BFREP as mentioned in documentaion
but clients still greyed and not registered yet
only those restarted are registered in console.
any workaround for this ?

What is recorded in the client logs for the non-reporting clients (or even the ones that now report prior to the service restart)?