Bigfix Root server Migration to VM

We are doing Bigfix Root server migration in our environment. It’s the first time we are carrying out such an activity. If anyone done it recently, please share your experience and if you created any document that will be great help.

Thank You!!!

Check the root server migration steps detailed on https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Config/t_mgrt_rootapp_server.html.

Are you keeping the same fdqn as your existing server? If yes then do not have the new VM resolving the fqdn in your masthead to the existing server otherwise your infra will get in a right state having 2 root servers reporting into the same instance. For your new VM, I would advise first edit your hosts file so the fqdn in your masthead points to the loopback address so it will only ever report into itself while you are testing the migration.

We are keeping the same Hostname and IP for the new machine and we’ll change the existing server hostname and IP. There will be no issues then right?

As long as you don’t have 2 root servers reporting into the same infra with the same masthead you will be ok. If you are planning to test the process while keeping the current production systems up, you will need to make sure the new system is isolated. I always always test at least twice before taking down the production system, but that’s a personal choice so I can QA the process end to end for my specific environment and configuration.

2 Likes

yes we will be bringing down the current production setup. If any issues occurred while migration we can always bring up the current production server right?. and I didn’t know about the testing the migration can you explain a little how can we do that.

Thanks!!!

See if anything from this posting helps. You pretty much have to develop the process specific to your environment.

The steps I outline that I use are generic but how you use/adopt them may vary from environment to environment. Even for me, the one I used last year I can’t reuse for another migration I’m embarking on as there are some subtle by very important environment changes I have to factor in.

A good method to build the process is to do it all on the command line then add each command line input to a batch script so you build up a scripted process that you can run over and over as many times as you want to test the process.