BigFix Relay Automatic relay selection

Team, My relays are automatic. However I do see more number of clients communicating to one specific relay server though there are more number of relays present in same subnet and close distance. I would need some help in setting equally or somewhat equal number of clients distributed to all relays. Could someone advice.

Regards,
Ajeeth

Do you mean that most all clients are ignoring other relays, and just doing 1? In my experience, the clients move around their closest relays from time to time. Most of our relays are fairly well load balanced, typically there are 2 relays within their immediate network segments. That said, all my endpoints are servers in datacenters though, so much more controlled network configurations then desktops/laptops.

I would suggest check their FailoverRelay & FailoverRelayList settings, we have seen this kind of behavior in our infra too where almost 10K endpoints were reporting to only one relay & in our case culprit was the failoverrelaylist (because that relay was 1st in the list) and to over come from the situation, I implemented below client setting.

_BESRelay_HTTPServer_MaxConnections

https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/9.5/platform/Platform/Config/r_client_set.html

Interesting finding. Will keep a mental note for the future.

Along with automatic relay, I have FailoverRelayList set as well and haven’t experienced any issues that I am aware of. We have around 9,000 clients right now in this environment.

I’d expect an issue like that if icmp-ping is being blocked to the Relays, which causes the clients to fail Automatic selection and fallback to the FailoverRelayList.