BigFix PXE Boot

I am trying to network boot a server in the lab. The server is on VLAN 238. It is not connecting to the OS Deployment Server, which is on VLAN 235

Question: Do the servers have to be on the same VLAN or can the OS Deployment Server be configured to allow connections from other VLANs?

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Any input on the above query please.

It really depends on your network.
For this configuration to work, your network infrastructure must be configured to allow DHCP, proxyDHCP and PXE traffic over your routers.
Most users, though, deploy a Bare Metal OS deployment server for each VLAN where OS deployments must occur

1 Like

You need working DHCP to your VLAN 235.
You can either use DHCP Option 43 to have the DHCP server direct your clients to the PXE server, or have your VLAN 235 also forward DHCP requests to your PXE server. Cisco calls this option “ip-helper”, other vendors give it a different name, but it’s DHCP Forwarding.

1 Like

Thanks for the response it was really helpful.
I have one more query :-
I’m just trying to get my test server to PXE boot to the OS Deployment server in the lab. We know Windows servers on the same VLAN have successfully connected to it. We tried moving the test server from VLAN 238 to 235 but it couldn’t get an IP (and there are other DHCP issues on this VLAN). The next option is to move the OS Deployment/Relay server to VLAN 238.

Question: Do you have any issues or will there be any issues from a BigFix perspective if we move the server to VLAN 238?

I don’t think you will have issues if you are able to keep the same IP address, If not, it dependes on how your BigFix deployment is configured,

The IP will change as it’s using DHCP and moving to a different VLAN. Please elaborate on how it depends on the BigFix deployment configuration and how to determine if there will be any impact?

Option 1:
You need working DHCP on the VLAN ilas a prerequisite for PXE booting.

Your client must also contact the OSD server via PXE. The client may contact the OSD server by broadcast (if the two systems are on the same VLAN); by IP Helpers configured on the switch/router, or by learning the PXE server information from DHCP Option 43.

Option 2:
Skip network booting. Use the dashboards to generate a USB Flash Drive and boot from it instead. You can plug in the OSD server’s IP Address in the boot wizard and install the OS that way without DHCP or PXE.

Option 1:
Please confirm there will be no issue moving the Relay to a different VLAN

Option 2:
Yes, that’s why I was creating the Linux deployment media. I’m following the steps in “Chapter 5. Managing Linux OS Resources and Deployment Media”. Once that completes successfully, I assume a CD/DVD must be burned based on the following note at the end of the section:

”Network boot media limitations: The following restrictions apply to network boot media: Only CD/DVD media are supported.”.
BigFix tool is most useful to us doing a standard PXE boot and bare metal install at remote sites.
Does OS Deployment need to be installed on every Relay server in a remote site? Could this be done?

Note: It appears from the Windows creating deployment media sections: Creating Windows Deployment Media, Creating Network Boot Media, Creating Offline Deployment Media, etc…, Windows/the tool are much more robust in this regards.

Bare Metal server does not need to be on every relay, and your clients do not need to be on the same subnet as OSD, but your network and DHCP must be configured to direct clients to the Bare Metal Server for PXE boot.

will be there any issue moving the Relay to a different VLAN. Please confirm

No there will be no issue moving a relay to a different VLAN.