BigFix prefetch, but using Powershell as the Script Type

We recently had a request from our BigFix Admins to use prefetch in order to cut down on our Network traffic to our JFrog Artifactory. Using prefetch, as I understand, will download elements once, and then stage them in a BigFix Relay. Don’t currently have the knowledge/ability to look in a BigFix Relay and see what is staged.

My issue comes in that most of our custom Fixlet content is written in native Powershell. I don’t have an issue with the idea behind prefetching, but I’d rather not resort to wrapping every Powershell script using the appendfile method. I find this way to be harder to test and harder to teach, in addition to the conversion we’d have to do to our current native Powershell Fixlets.

Is there a way to do a BigFix prefetch using native Powershell, either through an API or some other method?

Nope, afraid not. The ‘prefetch’,.‘download’, etc. are ActionScript statements and would not work with the PowerShell to sh scripts. You’d need to use PowerShell download commands instead.

is there not a way to externally call the prefetch code via powershell?
I figure there must be an API or something that we can utilize to still have this relay caching mechanism but not through the proprietary language

You could have one task to Prefetch the file using BigFix Actionscript and store it in a Temp folder, then have the second Fixlet actually use the downloaded file. You could then put both Fixlets in a Baseline, with the Download Task as the first Component, then the second Fixlet after it.

2 Likes