Bigfix Platform update frequency

Do you guys update your platform with every released patch? Is there a best practice to keep your enviroment up to date?

How do you guys manage this topic.

Thanks

We update our platform at least once a year, but sometimes more often if there is a feature or fix that we really need. Certainly not every point release.

1 Like

I try to take the same attitude, but it seems that each recent update has had either serious security fixes or some much-desired features. I’ve run every update since 9.5.3, usually installing about a month after release.

(I’ve been using it since 8.1, but it’s only been since 9.5.3 that I’ve run every update)

1 Like

I do not follow a strict update cycle as I look at the fixes and updates and determine if they address any issues that I am having or may potentially have. For the new features, I look at what those offer also to see if they will help me or my customers. If your environment is stable, secure and functional, why patch at every release?

If I see that the new release has some feature/fix I need, then I will start working on my upgrade plan. I do like to look at this forum to see if people are having issues in the first couple weeks, so this site is a great place to see what is going on. I then upgrade my test environment and let that burn for a while to see if there are any issues.

I would say that it takes me about a month to start upgrading production from the release of the patch. I have not had a situation yet where a patch addressed an issue that was critical enough for me to rush any faster.

I am currently on 9.5.6 and there are a couple items in the 9.5.11 release that are of interest, but I have also heard 10.x is coming soon enough and there is part of me that wants to wait so that I do not need to do two upgrades in a year. :wink:

1 Like