BigFix Platform 7.2.5 Now Available!

(imported topic written by BenKus)

From the mailing list announcement:

BigFix is pleased to announce the availability of version 7.2.5.22 of the BigFix Platform!

Version 7.2.5.22 adds official agent support for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Mac OS X 10.6, along with a number of bug fixes, including one for the set inspectors. (Note: Windows 7 has been supported since the 7.2.4.60 agent.)

The upgrade is available to all BigFix customers at no charge. BigFix recommends upgrading whenever possible to take advantage of the new features, optimizations, and bug fixes. As with all BigFix platform upgrades, you can upgrade any component manually or by using Fixlet messages available on the BES Support Fixlet site.

Additional Notes:

BigFix Product Team

Check out the BigFix User Forum at http://forum.bigfix.com

(imported comment written by ggerling91)

I am trying to find the changes made in this new version. The document at http://support.bigfix.com/bes/changes/fullchangelist-72.txt does not appear to have the changes for the latest version.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi ggerling,

Don’t you see the top section says?

=========================================

= Changes between 7.2.4.60 and 7.2.5.22 =

=========================================

Ben

(imported comment written by ggerling91)

Ben,

I see that now. This was not the case yesterday or this morning. Thanks for fixing it.

Greg

(imported comment written by SLB)

Quick question regarding fixlet 699 for the client update required on Windows 7 / 2008 R2. The fixlet description nicely warns that the Relays must be updated before updating the clients. Does this apply when our entire BES infrastructure is at 7.2.1.357, ie can we merely update the current 7.2 clients to 7.2.5.22 without any relay updates?

TIA

Rob

Hey Rob,

The 7.2.5 agents will work fine with other 7.2.x relays and you don’t need to upgrade your relays… The reason the Fixlet gives the warning is because the same Fixlet is used to upgrade from older versions of BigFix and we generally consider it best-practice to upgrade your infrastructure in order from Server/Console -> Relay -> Agents.

This particular update is very Agent focused and we considered not even releasing the other components but in the end we decided it works better to release them all.

Ben

(imported comment written by SLB)

Hey Ben, thats great. Thanks for clarifying that one

(imported comment written by jpeppers91)

I want to install the new 7.2.5 client on a couple of boxes. Any where I can download with out having to install the older client first?

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

The non-evalulation package on this page is what you want.

http://support.bigfix.com/bes/install/downloadbes.html

You have to download the full install and then use that to create a client install.

(imported comment written by jessewk)

There is a also a Fixlet in the BES Support site “Updated BES Installation Folders Now Available! (Version 7.2.5.22)” . This will upgrade the installers on your BES Server to the latest version. It does exactly the samething Noah mentions but using a Fixlet instead.

(imported comment written by jpeppers91)

So I can upgrade my clients to version 7.2.5.22? My BES Server and relays are 7.2.4.60.

Yep… That is what most people are doing and it is expected to be just fine…

Ben

(imported comment written by p_wudthi)

Why the 7.2.4.60 fixlets were remove?

Wp.

p_wudthi,

See if this helps:

http://support.bigfix.com/bes/install/beswindowsarchive.html

Ben

(imported comment written by p_wudthi)

Thanks for quick response but why they were removed. It should be imported only the new version of updated fixlets. In my environment the older version of update client fixlets still exist(6.x, 7.1.x) but the 7.2.4.x gone when 7.2.5.x load to the console.

If the new client works with the old relay or bes server, in the description, you should update the content of it.

Thanks.

Wp.

Hi wp,

We keep around the latest patch version of each Fixlet… but if we update the patch version, we remove the old Fixlets (because it gets confusing, cluttered, and the new patch releases have important changes).

We also have the archive site just-in-case you really don’t want to use the new patch version (although we recommend you use the latest patch version).

Ben

(imported comment written by peterd91)

Is there any particular reason the task “Install BES Relay 7.2.5.22” is not relevant on win7 or the relevance needs a fix? Can Windows 7 machine be a relay?

Thanks,

Peter

Hey Peter,

The Relay isn’t certified on Win7 at this time…

Ben

(imported comment written by Marty23)

Ben;

"Ben Kus

2009-12-07 02:30:46Hey Peter,

The Relay isn’t certified on Win7 at this time…

Ben"

Is that all so the case for Windows server 2008?

Win2008 is supported for the relay… See: http://support.bigfix.com/bes/misc/supportpolicy.html

Ben