BigFix OSD - Prompt for computer name

Greetings - I looked at the Similar Topics and didn’t find direction on how to do this. I thought there was a way in a bare metal profile to enable a prompt for computer name however I don’t see this option. I running Big Fix 9.5.2

I’m using that in my setup.
In the “OS Deployment - Image Library”, make sure that

• You have a Bare Metal Profile.
  • In the Bare Metal Profile properties, on the “Wizard” page the “Prompt end user for properties” is selected.
  • The Bare Metal Profile has been sent to the Bare Metal Server (it needs to be prestaged on the Bare Metal Server to show up on the client menu).

When the client boots into PXE, ensure there are no other active OSD tasks targetting that client. If there are other active tasks, the client will run them (including the automatic generation of computername, etc.). If there are no active tasks, the client will end up in an RBAgent menu where they can select the OS to install from the list of available Bare Metal Profiles on the OSD server. After choosing the Profile, if the profile allows prompting for parameters the user can select the IP configuration and hostname to use.

1 Like

nice. I wasn’t aware of this setting - for the network portion of the prompt, is DHCP/default an option? mostly just interested in host name, it’s one less thing they have to look up to set later.

Thanks @JasonWalker that did take care of what I wanted it to do. Like @Entaille asked if there is a way to turn off the DHCP config as well that would be great otherwise I’ll deal with it.

Standby calling in the Cavalry…
@alexdinia
@lgimondo

I don’t know if there’s a way to make the client inherit the hostname provided by the DHCP server. You are however able to assign hostnames by precreating Bare Metal Targets and assigning host parameters to them.

The OS Deployment and Bare Metal Imaging site has Task 104 “Register Computer in a Bare Metal Server”. In the Description tab, you can fill in a list of MAC address and name assignments to create the new Bare Metal Targets.

Once registered, you can use tasks 350 and 354 to change the targets’ properties (hostnames, IP addresses, etc.)

In the Bare Metal Profile properties, Network tab, select “use Task 354 parameters if specified”.

Also in the Bare Metal Profile properties, Wizard tab, you can specify a Hostname Rule. If the target does not already exist in the Bare Metal Server, and you are not prompting the user to supply the hostname, the hostname will be created based on the rule you specify here.