BigFix Local User Group Checklist - HOWTO

I am getting several requests for user groups from around the world. I am starting to get requests from end users who have missed a group by a few days. :frowning:

I want to make sure I post this here, so that all potential BigFix user groups can benefit from this. I am more than wiling to edit this, so feel free to offer recommendations.

If you would like to create a local user group in your area and you are not sure if there is one, do the following.

Check to see if there is a User Group listed @ the IBM Security Community. Under the Local Groups menu item you should be able to see a list of BigFix user groups. If you see one here that matches your need, then join the group! Now ask the other local users when the next meeting is. Congratulations, level 1 unlocked, you have reached the end of your journey. If you did not find a BigFix local user group in your area I would recommend the following steps:

• Add a post under Events to this forum. In the title of that post mention your area and ask to see if any other like minded BigFix users would like to get together in your area.

• Once you have a few replies, use the post to discuss location, dates and times.

• Confirm the location reservation and that the dates work for other local BigFix users. A few items on user group dates and locations:
    Do not schedule an event/UG on or near a holiday. Especially avoid parades.
    Do schedule an event 6 weeks out to allow interested parties to plan accordingly.
    Do advertise on the BigFix forums.
    Do inform a seller to make sure that they can tell people about it.
    Do allow customers to present and maybe allow a few BigFixers.
    Do get help from your local BigFixers or fellow local BigFix users to find a suitable location.
    Do not schedule a User group on a Monday or Friday.
    Do ask for help getting a location! I would recommend asking for that assistance in the forum post from step 1 and 2.
    Do ask for speakers from BigFix. We like users, we also like groups of them.

• At this point in time I would recommend joining the IBM Security Community and creating a local user group.

* Create an account at the [IBM Security Community](https://community.ibm.com/community/user/security/home) 
      * Now select the menu bar-drop down Participate.
      * Highlight Get Involved
      * Click lead a local user group
      * Apply Today (fill in some details)

• When you receive access to your shiny new Local BigFix User group @ the IBM Security Community, Add an event!

• Add this Event to the BigFix enthusiasts group on LinkedIn, add it to the BigFix Facebook page and print off the invitation to leave a few copies at a local coffee house.

• Post the details of the event to https://forum.bigfix.com/

• On the day of the meeting post updates, pictures and presentations to your Event post and add details to the IBM Security Community.

• When you event is complete edit your forum post, adding β€œENDED :” to the title of the post.

Later.
-jgo

6 Likes