BigFix Lab cache management not working

Hi All,

Recently i went on the BigFix cache management lab in the BigFix console but i am getting script error once I cancel the script error i get the install flash player option.

Can anyone help me to get through this issue.

Thanks in advance and regards,
KK

That dashboard (along with any other Flash dashboards) is deprecated…I haven’t heard any plans to replace the cache management dashboard.

I’ve like to hear your use-case for using it, I don’t think that dashboard had much use. If you have a need for its functionality we would ask you to submit a request through the Ideas portal for voting and prioritization.

See BigFix - Flash announcement

I have been using it to find SHA files that are not associated with fixlets. Our systems are air gapped. Everything is done via custom sites, and the fixlets, baselines, and SHAs are archived like code. Over time fixlets occasionally get removed without also removing the associated SHAs. This is a problem as the repository will swell over time. If there is another way to do the same thing I would love to know what it is.

In Earlier version and before the Flash getting discontinued we used to use the cache management to remove the unwanted and least used sha1 from the server and the relays which helped in keeping the cache management on the servers and relays.

I am aware that BigFix automatically removes the least used sha1 from the server and relay.
Are there any further plans for rebuilding this dashboard without flash?

2 Likes

We use it for similar reasons above. Please fix this! :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree, need something to assist with Server Cache Management

We know something new. I usually use this dashboard and there is no way it works. Today there is nothing in bigfix to replace cache maintenance

I still don’t understand what isn’t working with automatic cache management? In the customer environments I’ve worked in, from very small to very large deployments, we haven’t had a need to manually remove cached downloads and I have to wonder why this is an issue

In large environments, I need to know if some relays are full to cache all Windows patches. If I have to manually manage Windows patches to increase the speed of a deployment, I need to know if the cache that exists is associated with some fixlet or action, to only eliminate what is not needed, and if it is necessary to request a disk increase to increase the cache. Furthermore, it is very bad for the client to see that a dashboard does not work in the console.

I think your workflow may be making this harder than it needs to be? I’ve worked in environments with 250k endpoints and something like 800 relays and we still didn’t do any of this manual cache management, so I’m still trying to understand why you are doing that…

The key to making deployments execute faster is usually to issue the action a few days before you want it to run, set the “Starts On” time to when you want the client to execute it, and leave the “Start downloads before constraints are satisfied” option selected. This allows the clients (and their associated relays) to begin requesting & caching downloads ahead of time; when the start tome arrives the downloads should already be available.

I agree that it’s not a great look for the Flash-based dashboards in BigFix Labs to show the error messages; we are planning to publish a new version of the BigFix Labs site, which will have some new dashboards but the Flash dashboards will just be removed from the site. I don’t think we have any intent to replace that cache management dashboard, it’s just going to be removed entirely.

I’ve created some PowerShell script that will look into Relevant Fixlets and will check if there are missing files on the SHA1 folder on the Root Server. If there are missing files, it will provide the URLS in a different text file

1 Like