Bigfix Inventory Lost Password

Hello Guys

I recently installed the Bigfix inventory and lost the webui login, can i create another admin user or reset this password?

I found in the web only for the console user.

thanks

This link should get you what you are looking for.

If you recently installed it then maybe you could just do a reinstall with little risk of losing any historical data.

2 Likes

But I’ve already have some imports in the database, can i reinstall only the bigfix inventory?

To reinstall the whole platform would be a problem because is in a client.

thanks

You can just reinstall Inventory. It will have no bearing on the information contained within your BigFix root server.

The imports are importing information that exists in the BigFix database prior to the scanner being deployed and once that is deployed then information from the scans will also be imported. The scanned information can be collected again once you have Inventory reinstalled.

2 Likes

Does anyone have the correct link to this page for info on how to reset the local BFI login?

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ibm10870046

Thanks!

@mike_CSTG, I think one of these will be what you’re looking for.

Knowledge Article View HCL - Customer Support

Updating the database password

I’ve found that prefixing all of my Google searches with “hcl bigfix” and then what keywords I’m looking for returns the best results. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks Casey…Do you or anyone know the process for resetting the BES Console local operator if you lost the password?

If you have the site singing key and it’s password (license.pvk, used when you run the BESAdmin tool), there is a method to reset an operator password…I don’t have it handy though, you should open a support incident and they can walk you through it.

1 Like

Thanks for the response Jason. We don’t have the license.pvk password for this environment. I think it was a case where an admin setup the BF Platform and BFI and then left the company and no passwords were documented.

So…you don’t have the license.pvk file, and if you found it you don’t have the password to use it.

I’m afraid that’s not good news. The license.pvk is the private key to a certificate (license.cer) that is the source of your BigFix clients trusting your server. We (HCL) never have your private key and cannot recover it.

Do you have any working BigFix Console accounts? Was it configured to use LDAP credentials, where maybe we could add another user on the LDAP side to inherit some rights?

Basically losing the pvk is going to mean rebuilding on a new BigFix server, and migrating your clients from the old server to the new one. If you don’t have access to an operator on the old server, that complicates moving the clients a bit.

How large is the deployment? Normally I’d recommend opening a Support Incident, and that’s still definitely worthwhile to get you started, but this is a case where you may want to engage BigFix Services to help you with a forward path. We generally refrain from advertising ourselves in the Forum, I’ll be contacting you by DM.

1 Like

Yeah…we may be SOL. Is there a way to change the password in the database like you can for BFI…for the BES Console local operator?

Negative on that - please don’t try.
The BigFix records are digitally signed, and modifying any of the user records directly will…pretty much set it on fire. The kind of thing you can only repair using BESAdmin - with the pvk file you don’t have and the password you don’t know.

I sent some lengthier info by email, but I think your best hope is that you may find there’s an LDAP integration set up, and maybe if we create or modify an Active Directory account to match your assigned roles we could get in to the console that way.

It’s also possible, though less likely, that your previous admin has a password stored somewhere - do you have access to their files, Documents, Desktop, etc.? I assume you’ve already searched for the license.pvk, but I wonder whether he might also have had a script with API calls that he might’ve stored a password in? I’d look through any .ps1, .py, .vbs, .bat, or .CMD files he might’ve had in any directory - you might get lucky and find he had something using the REST API and saved a password in one of their scripts.

1 Like

I understand. Thanks Jason for the extra info and places to look. Appreciate it!