BigFix Inventory: Catalog 20240717 published 2024-07-31

Product:
BigFix Inventory Catalog update 20240717

Published site version:

BigFix Inventory Discovery - version 3

Note: BigFix Inventory v10 site is deprecated and no longer used for updates.

Features:

BigFix Inventory delivers increased value and demonstrates HCL’s commitment towards HCL, IBM and Oracle customers.

Key updates in HCL BigFix Inventory Catalog 20240717:

• Discovery of 240+ new software versions with use of standard and template signatures, including but not limited to the following software manufacturers Autodesk, Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle & RedHat.
  • Ideas implemented: BFINV-I-315 , BFINV-I-327 and BFINV-I-335.
  • End-of-Support information refreshed for RedHat (new- 46, updated -67) & VMware (new 2) software’s

To view the complete list of new features and defects that were fixed in this application update, refer to the release notes.

Catalog: https://support.bigfix.com/bfi/BigFix-Inventory-Catalog-20240717-ReleaseNotes.pdf

To view the complete catalog content, use the Software Components report in BigFix Inventory.

Actions needed:
To apply new discovery capability, run the Server Software Catalog Update Fixlet (check new BigFix Inventory Discovery site) from the BigFix console and then wait for the next data import.

If BigFix Inventory Discovery site is not visible

1. Check for License Update via BigFix License Overview (refresh if needed) License Overview dashboard

2. Enable new sites: BigFix Inventory and BigFix Inventory Discovery. Selecting Sites

Starting from 20240612 release, Catalog updates are available from a new BigFix Inventory Discovery site, and BigFix Inventory server version 11.x is required for all subsequent catalog releases.

Upgrading the BigFix Inventory server to version 11 is required to activate the catalog import option. Previous versions of BigFix Inventory server will ignore new catalogs during import time. See server release notes for details and upgrade procedure: https://support.bigfix.com/bfi/BigFix-Inventory-11.0.0.0-ReleaseNotes.pdf

For more information about how to install, maintain, and use BigFix Inventory application, refer to the user documentation: BigFix 11 Inventory Documentation

To find out more about Catalog Updates, visit: Catalog Overview (hcltechsw.com)

We hope you find this latest release of BigFix Inventory Catalog content useful and effective.

Thank you!

Import fails with “The UPDATE statement conflicted with the CHECK constraint”. Be careful being eager to jump on this release.

Manual import works after but catalog is not updated.

Case was opened.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. We updated the catalog on two systems and it worked on one, but had the same error on the second one where the manual import also worked but did not update the catalog.

Thank you for opening the case and providing details. At the current stage of investigation the issue was confirmed as related to specific data set on the server side. Development team is reviewing this scenario carefully to assure complete and quality fix. Details will be provided under the case. Next update in the forum will be provided once fix is confirmed.

I was able to replicate the issue on our side on two separate BFI environments (both running v11), so if you need further data please let me know and I’d be happy to raise separate case and provide it.

Steps received to remedy this but have to wait overnight for import to run and then see if catalog was updated. Will post steps I was given if success.

Same here. I fixed the issue with the steps provided in our environments.

No changes.

Regular import failed again with:

2024-08-08 22:08:01 (+0:00:00.016) ERROR: Sequel::DatabaseError: DBNAME: temadb - NativeException: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The UPDATE statement conflicted with the CHECK constraint “ckt_sam__catalog_hierarchies_scd”. The conflict occurred in database “temadb”, table “sam.catalog_hierarchies_scd”

Manual import worked.

Catalog did NOT get updated.

Support is aware.

The quality assurance coming out of development for this product is poor at best. This is not the first time that an update, release or catalog has fallen on its face.

We understand that this situation is not what any one of us would like to face. Development team puts all efforts and attention to quality of the hotfix and runs it in all available configurations before sharing with individual customers. For all observed environments except two cases the solution solved the issue completely. For remaining two there are additional issues observed after applying the hotfix. This particular case is related to specific corrupted data set that is environment specific and dependent on sequence of upgrades in the past. Development team continues work to extend fix based on your and the other customer input to address remaining data sets that trigger this issue. Thank you for your patience.

We were positioned on the 2638889 version ahead of this upgrade, so it wasn’t like we were years behind.

This is perfectly fine to keep timely updates to assure secure environment and discovery up to date. The issue itself is related to the server and not the catalog. Inventory server upgrades in the past caused corrupted data, it was not visible in the reports but exposed now with Inventory server v11 and July catalog. Hope this clarifies. In case you wish more details then support engineer can provide you with information under your case.

“Inventory server upgrades in the past caused corrupted data”

What will be done in future releases or catalog updates to ensure the data is clean so we do not see a repeat of this?

@GJablonska, If I read the SQL queries that Support provided those corrupted records were now removed but is there anything else proactive to check if there are more that may cause impact in the future? Maybe worth keeping an ongoing periodically updated query-based “DB Health Check” which people can run to discover any potential issues both with current version or with new. Similar partial queries were provided in the past when new versions were known to cause issues but an official fully fledged “DB Health Check” would have merit in my honest opinion.

Otherwise, in all fairness, we have been doing catalog updates pretty much right after their release where the upgrades on our side have downstream dependencies, so it is not uncommon to be a few versions behind but we have never before seen Catalog update fail. All in all, it is quite a reliable low-impact process and one issue over about 9 years of usage the product is not the end of the World, especially that it failed in a way where the imports/data processing still continued to work (the issue was not functionality-impacting).

1 Like

Regular import failed a 3rd time. Manual import worked after. Catalog did NOT change.

2024-08-09 22:07:51 (+0:00:00.016) ERROR: Sequel::DatabaseError: DBNAME: temadb - NativeException: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The UPDATE statement conflicted with the CHECK constraint “ckt_sam__catalog_hierarchies_scd”. The conflict occurred in database “temadb”, table “sam.catalog_hierarchies_scd”.

Inventory server v11 is more strict regarding the data this is why this corrupted data was exposed. Development team is working on solution that covers all cases to get back to the low-impact process as visible in previous updates. Not only hot fix will be shared with individual cases and heath check procedure but also we plan Server v11 version refreshed to address this.

1 Like

The BigFix Inventory v11 server package is refreshed. For details refer to BigFix Inventory: Application Update 11.0.0.0 build 20240820-1428 published 2024-08-27 - Release Announcements / Inventory (Release Announcements) - BigFix Forum

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.