BigFix Install w/Local Database Option and MS SQL Server

Hello,

We are setting up a new BigFix environment of version 10.0.4 and we already have MS SQL server 2019 pre-installed. According to the article below, in step 5, if we choose the Local Database option, does anyone know if BigFix automatically detects the install of SQL server even if it’s on another drive on the same host or does it prompt for you to enter the instance details so BigFix can connect and create the table?

help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Installation/c_server_installation_prod.html

When localhost is specified, the installer will try to find the local SQL server instance. If it find’s the SQL server running and listening on the port then it will continue.

Are you getting any error when choosing the local database option?

No, I was inquiring about it first because we chose remote database teh first install and HCL said we should choose Local Database since they are both installed on the same host. But we don’t want to have SQL server 2016 installed that comes with BigFix because it’s end of life.

Short story, yes if you have SQL 2019 installed and select the “Use Local Database” option in the BES Installer, we expect the installer to find and use your existing SQL server.

It’s really just a matter of whether we stick ‘localhost’ into the ODBC DSNs that we create.

Thank you. Appreciate the info. I’ll update the thread if I run into an unexpected issue with the install regarding this.