BigFix Insights Setup Issues

I have been trying to install and configure BigFix Insights in my Lab environment.
I have built a new server to host the BFInsights Database and the Replicas of BFEnterprise DB.
I have used the Fixlet to Install the BFInsights application on top of the BigFix server. The BFInsights database contains now some tables and minimum data created by the installer.

However, when I go to the “Insights” App in WebUI it sends me to this page:

If I try to use the same credentials used during the installation, I am getting the following:

The user I am using has sa privileges and I can connect to the DB using MSSQL Management Studio.
I can’t move forward and there is no documentation anywhere about this error.
I have enabled debug logging for the webui and insights and none of them log any details.

Is anyone using BigFix Insights and been able to fully make it work?

Hello!

Based on the description above, I think there may be some confusion here around Insights (versus perhaps Insights for Vulnerability Remediation?) Insights itself is entirely setup and configured via WebUI (there are no Fixlets to deploy “BFInsights application”). The steps to install and configure Insights are described here: https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/insights/Insights/Getting_Started/t_creating_bigfix_insights_server.html.

From your screenshot above, it does look like you already created the BigFix Insights database through WebUI (otherwise, there’d be some radio buttons under the ‘Server Alias’ field to either ‘Create new Insights’ or ‘Reconnect to Existing Insights’).

A couple of suggestions:

• Be sure that you’re running the latest WebUI Insights App (currently version 12): https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/webui/WebUI/Admin_Guide/c_manage_application_updates.html
    (note that the WebUI Insights App does not auto-update, even if auto-update is configured due to the potential for Insights app updates to modify the Insights schema)

• Do ensure that the credentials being supplied do in fact have ‘sa’ privileges (or are SA to be sure), or at least DBO to the Insights DB. The error being returned points to a permissions issue.

Note that the screenshot you referenced above is like a ‘login screen’ for Insights (given that you can access Insights from multiple WebUIs).

Hello Aram!

Thanks for your prompt reply.
In fact, I was confused with BigFix Insights and BigFix IVR. Last week I used the Fixlet to deploy BF Insights for IVR thinking that would be the first step.
My purpose is to be able to report on historical data for patching compliance and device inventory.

Because the initial deployment that I attempted last week it wasn’t allow me to setup the DB from the webui interface.

I went ahead and removed IVR, and then reset the DB config for Insights using the following query:

delete from [BFEnterprise].[dbo].[webui_data] where App = 'insights'

I also re-created the BFInsights DB as it contained some tables created by the previous setup.

After that, I ran the setup from WebUI and everything went through without any issues. I am now looking at the BI reports provided by BigFix.

At the moment I am using a replica from my lab server but it doesn’t have too much data. So I have two questions:

• Can I use a replica of my prod BFEnterprise DB as a second data source for this current setup?
  • Will I be able to report on data from previous months(Like the total installed/missing patches) once I add the source or is that available once I move forward in time with more ETL runs?

Glad to hear you got it working!

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes, you can use a replica of your prod BFEnterprise DB as a 2nd data source in your current set up :slight_smile:

2. Regarding historical context, as you note, that will build over time with more ETL runs.

1 Like

I’m now working through the Insights setup and seeing similar issues. The eventual goal is to enable IVR. I have a few points of clarification:

1. Do any computers need to be subscribed to these content sites?
    “Insights”
    “BigFix Insights for Vulnerability Remediation”

2. I’ve already setup the Insights source and targets, and an ETL configuration to the BFInsights database. However, when logging into WebUI as master operator (the one who set up the Insights ETL) and clicking on the “Insights” App in WebUI, I also get the “Connect to BigFix Insights Database” page. Is this because the MO account is not the same as the NT Authentication account used for the Insights data source?

3. The insights.log shows lines:
    bfapp:debug 1.0.0 listening on port 5011 in production mode
    Does anything connect to port 5011, either internally or externally? Do I need to make allowances for this in the Windows firewall?

Thanks!

-Andrew

Hi Andrew,

1. Content Sites
  • The BF IVR site contains the Fixlets for managing IVR, so just subscribe the computer where you will be running the IVR service.

• The Insights site contains the Fixlets that deploy sample BI reports, so again, just subscribe one computer so you can get to the report code.

1. The credentials are required to access the configuration information. I think this is normal, as it works this way in my lab environment, and on customers’ implementations.

2. I don’t see any listening ports in that range on my lab environment, although, I do see references to ports in the 50xx range in the insights log as well.

1 Like

I think every time you open Insights it will ask you for the DB details. Once you provide the correct ones you will see the configuration.

BigFix WebUI uses a range of ports based on the applications deployed. Please see the following link for the min and max range of port settings
https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/webui/WebUI/Admin_Guide/c_network_port_conflicts.html#c_network_port_conflicts

As a note for @Aram and other PMs… this user experience is suboptimal. If Insights has previously been configured, the UX should convey we’re authenticating into an existing configuration. The current UX does not make this distinction, leaving the user to either already know, or assume that something is broken.

-Andrew

3 Likes

I appreciate the feedback Andrew (and agree). We have been working on improving this (and other aspects of the Insights UX). I’ll work to update this as we solidify our plans and potential timelines there.

3 Likes

Thank you Aram!

-Andrew

I haven’t executed the Insights app since last december and today I am trying to import new data.
Whenever I try to use the SAME DB parameters and credentials the APP will fail to connect to the DB.Using MSSQL management studio with the same credentials lets me connect to the DB from the WebUI server.

I hope HCL is seriously considering our feedback(And I also don’t understand why the initial UX design didn’t take that into consideration), the experience with the Insights UX is really annoying.

1 Like