Bigfix HW inventory report is not showing correct serial number

Hi All,

I am facing one issue as we are not getting the correct serial number while taking hardware scans on virtual machines.

All the scans are placed and VMMAN tool also configured properly.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Chandu

What virtualization technology are you using? Are you seeing serial numbers that begin with TLM_VM_?

What does your BFI dashboard show for IBM Capacity Data Completeness? You may have “No VM Manager Data”, even if your VM Manager tool is configured, if Virtual Machines are guests on Hypervisors outside of your configuration.

Hi ,

Thanks for your response. I am using HP hardware and all the server ID begin with HP FQDN and server server serial number with FQDN .

IBM Capacity Data completeness is showing for one VM manager no data. We are having 12 VM’s out of which one is having some firewall issues.

Thank you.

Regards
Chandhu

Try creating a custom property in BigFix with the following relevance:

if (exists wmi) then (string values of selects "SerialNumber from Win32_BIOS" of wmi) else if (exists dmi AND exists serial_number of system_information of dmi) then (serial_number of system_information of dmi) else ("N/A")

Hi,
Thanks for your update and relevance example. With out this custom relevance condition to create property and add it in BFI.

is there any other way to achieve it ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Chandhu

If I understand correctly, you don’t have the ability and/or the access needed to create a custom property in BigFix.

However, you should be able add the out of the box Computer Property “Identifying Number - Windows” to BFI. The, you can, at least for those machines running a Windows OS, show the serial number in the Hardware Inventory Report.

See https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/9.5/inventory/Inventory/planinconf/t_setting_up_computer_properties.html

Hi,

Thank you for your update. Actually using Rest API we are able to see this server ID in output in BFI. But I am looking for the same output in report in server Id cloumn.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ande

Hi,

Also this particular relevance condition is only works for windows systems. Actually in our infra we have many non windows machines ( AIX and Linux ). Please let me know any relevance condition to know server id on non windows machines.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ande

Use the image menu in the Hardware Inventory Report. Add the Server Serial Number column to the report.

Is this what you are looking for? If not, provide the REST API query so I can understand what you mean by server ID.

The relevance I provided covers windows through wmi calls and non-windows through dmi calls.