BigFix Console Login Timeout

Hi,

I am using below settings in Admin tool to re-authentication in BigFix console after every 60 seconds if it stay idle. But is not working… Any idea?

loginTimeoutSeconds

If you login to the BES Console with “Use with Windows Session Credentials” it does not prompt for re-authentication as it pulls from the session

I am using Local Master Operator to login on BigFix console not with Windows authentication… I just wanted that BigFix console must be log out post 60 seconds in case it is idle for 60 seconds… I am using loginTimeoutSeconds setting in Admin tool but not working

If memory serves me right the re-authetication is only required if you do something (submit action, modify groups or fixlets, that sort of thing), not if you just sit idle and do nothing.

But if you see this link https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/9.5/platform/Platform/Config/c_list_of_advanced_options.html

it says it can be possible with the settings…but it is not working when i use it.

Perhaps you’re getting the settings confused. You may want timeoutLockMinutes or timeoutLogoutMinutes.

loginTimeoutSeconds

Specifies the amount of idle time in seconds before the console requires the user to authenticate again to take certain actions. The timer is reset every time the user authenticates or does an action that would have required authentication within the idle time threshold. The default value is zero on upgrade from a deployment earlier than V8.2, the default value is infinity on a clean install of V8.2 or later.

timeoutLockMinutes

Specifies how many idle time minutes must elapse before the console requires (the user) to authenticate again. This setting is different from loginTimeoutSeconds because timeoutLockMinutes hides the entire console to prevent any other (workstation) user to see or use it. The idle time refers to the lack of any type of input to the session including key buttons, mouse clicks, and mouse movements.

Note: This option does not take any effect on the console if an operator accesses it using the Windows session credentials (Windows authentication).

This option was introduced with BigFix V9.1.

timeoutLogoutMinutes

Specifies how many idle time minutes must elapse before the console is closed. This setting is different from loginTimeoutSeconds and timeoutLockMinutes, because timeoutLogoutMinutes closes the console completely. The idle time refers to the lack of any type of input to the session including key buttons, mouse clicks, and mouse movements.
This option was introduced with BigFix V9.5.11.

bear in mind that (in my experience) even the Advanced Option “timeoutLogoutMinutes” only closes the console if you are idle on the computer as a whole, not if just the console is idle.

That is: If you have an open BES Console, but you are constantly doing other things on the computer, the console will remain open. If you get up to do something, however, and your computer is idle, the console will close when the computer has been idle for the number of minutes defined in that option.

1 Like

But here i want Console must ask user for re-authentication if in case no one use it for 60 mints or 3600 seconds…

loginTimeoutSeconds setting is not giving complete solution of my problem… If i use this setting it ask for re-authentication only when i take action but this is not my requirement… Above is the my actual requirement.

in that case use “timeoutLockMinutes”=60 and NOT,“loginTimeoutSeconds” as suggested by @itsmpro92 . The purpose of “loginTimeoutSeconds” is not the same as what you are trying to achieve…