Bigfix Client Stopping

I am finding on a certain model PC that the client will stop a few minutes after it starts. The model is HP EliteDesk 800 G4 DM 35W (TAA). The client is a Windows Client version 9.5.13.

The debug log stops consistently on the line Mon, 28 Oct 2019 12:38:38 -0500 DebugMessage EvalLog BigFix Labs.6000:Evaluate Property 1.

I’m pretty sure the 6000 in the debug log refers to the Installed Windows Patches Information analysis. Both properties, HotFixID, and InstalledOn, use a wmi call to retrieve the data. And each one is evaluated every report.

There have been reports of issues with wmi calls on certain models of computers elsewhere in the forums.

Perhaps you could try unsubscribing that PC from the BigFix Labs content site, or excluding it from the Installed Windows Patches Information Analysis.

Someone from HCL should be able to confirm if I’m reading this correctly.

1 Like

To add to @itsmpro92’s suggestion, I’d be curious what you might find when evaluating wmi relevance in the Fixlet Debugger. If you’re able to install it on that computer, maybe try working your way through some wmi queries, even starting as simple as exists wmi. You could also try to evaluate the relevance from the analysis @itsmpro92 references.

@mbartosh, I would also check the Windows Event Log for issues. We have previously seen HP “utilities” that are registering themselves with WMI but either doing so incorrectly or without appropriate permissions that caused the WMI stack to hang. Considering these are all the same model system, chances are they all have the same driver set.

Deactivating the analysis “Installed Windows Patches Information” in Bigfix Labs resolved the issue of the BES Client stopping on our HP EliteDesk 800 G4 DM 35W (TAA) systems. The analysis does have a couple of calls to WMI. Now the question is: is it a Bigfix problem or an HP problem.