BigFix client service keeps stopping

When i tried to uninstall using BESRemove utility, it says that uninstalling the client will disturb server configuration.

Well, as I said, I’ve never had the need to do this and as @Brolly33 said in your other thread on the subject, this needs the whole application stack to be removed and re-installed.

Make sure there is no antivirus blocking the bes client. You can see in the event viewer on the application logs or in the system logs what is the cause. In the application logs you might be able to see the culprit that is causing your bes client service not to start or to stop right away. In the system logs you wont be able to see much, but one test you can do is to disable the antivirus protection and try to start the service to see if does starts fine.

As far as the process, you can use the disaster recovery process to rebuild the root server.
https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/9.5/platform/Platform/Installation/c_disaster_recovery_windows.html

1 Like

Umm, it wasn’t me asking this question…

I notice that the file is called ActionSite.afxm so I’ll take a stretch and ask if the filesystem has been made as case sensitive? I believe the client should start up anyway and create logs even with a bad masthead

I checked the content. The masthead file was okay.

Yes, i had to remove the whole application stack and did the re-installation

1 Like

Hello Guys,

Sorry to bug again but we were trying to install BigFix 9.5.15 on Windows 2019.

Could it be the reason?

Regards,
Divya

Wait - you uninstalled and reinstalled to a different drive?

Check the BESData folder from the original install location and see whether it is producing a log there.

The path to BESData doesn’t have to be under the program installation - that’s determined by a client setting or registry key and may still be pointed at the old install path.

1 Like

Yes, the logs were getting generated to the old drive even after reinstalling the client.

we were trying to install BigFix 9.5.15 on Windows 2019

Does it affect anything

It shouldn’t, but if the point was to move the space to the new drive you should probably relocate them. Check all of the paths defined in the registry at hklm\software\wow6432node\bigfix enterprise, you’ll probably want to change a number of the values to reference your new paths.

But first do the logs indicate why the service is stopping?

Hello Jason,

Thank you for the suggestion. I really appreciate.As i stated earlier we have now re-implemented the BigFix.

I guess the wrong thing i did is to delete the folders from old drive :frowning:

1 Like