BigFix Asset Discovery Issue

I tried to run NMAP Scan from BigFix root server, which is the only designated scan point and existed on a virtual machine assigned to NAT virtual switch and its subnet IP ranges is [192.168.81.1-254] & Gateway[192.168.81.2]. So I want to run NMAP scan to discover the host and all devices and the same physical subnet which is [192.168.100.1-254] & Gateway [192.168.100.1]. The XML file is uploaded to the BigFix root server, but there are no devices appear under “Unmanaged Assets” section in console.

The detection for whether the endpoint has an existing BES Client no longer works on modern operating systems - it was based on ICMP response from the endpoint indicating the port is closed, but most systems no longer send those ICMP responses.

To workaround you need to run Task 21 Change Nmap Asset Discovery Server Settings from the BES Asset Discovery site, and choose the option 0 to Include BES Clients.

After this the scan import should show all the systems NMAP found, including the ones that have BES Client installed already. The ones that match up to a BigFix system will have a tag for ‘Possible BES Client’ and you’d need to filter or remove those as needed.

First of all, thanks for your reply Jason. But that is not the matter, I just need the network of my physical machine(Host) to be appeared under “Unmanaged Assets” section and any devices fall under the same network, such as Mobiles, Printers, APs, or any device exists in that subnet.

have you tried what I posted yet?

Yup ,I tried it, but it failed.

Did any unmanaged assets import at all?

In your first post you list one subnet for the scanner and a different subnet for the targets; I don’t recall whether our task scans remote subnets but can check later in the week. You may need to add a scanner on the target subnet.

Also are you a master operator? If not you’ll need an MO to check whether you are assigned rights over unmanaged assets.

Hi Jason,
I’m the master operator. So could you please set a session with me to help me in that if you are available tomorrow.

I’m afraid I won’t be available but please open a support ticket so the team can work with you on it.