BigFix analysis causes client crashes

All, we have case open with HCL BigFix support regarding high number of bigfix client crashes several thousand each week, the clients do recover within minute and we’re not seeing any negative side effect to our software distribution (Applications & Patching). We did enable debugging on few clients and share these logs with the support and they concluded issue was causes by BigFix analysis we have enabled in our environment to collect some PeerNest analysis by reading Peer_debug.log and few client settings that are created as part of separate script we have. To determine the client crashes we’re using software “NextThink” that read eventviewer logs and searches for certain eventID’s, I’ve done spot check on machines reported issue by checking eventviewer and indeed the besclient.exe does crash but within 60-90 seconds it’s recovered.

Below is the relevance of the different analysis we did include some error checking but I’m wondering if anything else could be added to make it more bullet proof, and if somebody could help me understand why this would cause BESClient.exe process to crash.

Our environment is running 10.0.4.32, and it’s all Windows 10 machines (21H2) few 21H1
The analysis is configured to run 1/day

Q: if (exist file (parent folder of client folder of current site as string & “\peer_debug.log”)) then (number of lines whose (it contains (substring (0, 3) of ((month of current date) as string)) And it contains “Received peer request for file”) of file (parent folder of client folder of current site as string & “\peer_debug.log”)) as string else “N/A”
A: 0
T: 0.119 ms

Q: if (exist file (parent folder of client folder of current site as string & “\peer_debug.log”)) then (number of lines whose (it contains (substring (0, 3) of ((month of current date) as string)) And it contains “Sending peer message to”) of file (parent folder of client folder of current site as string & “\peer_debug.log”)) as string else “N/A”
T: 0.055 ms

Q: (sum of sizes of descendants of folder (parent folder of client folder of current site as string & “__Global__PeerCache”)) / (1024*1024)
T: 0.086 ms

Q: if (exist file (parent folder of client folder of current site as string & “\peer_debug.log”)) then (number of lines whose (it contains (substring (0, 3) of ((month of current date) as string)) And it contains “Download peer URL https://151.208.”) of file (parent folder of client folder of current site as string & “\peer_debug.log”)) as string else “N/A”
T: 0.053 ms

Q: if (exists values of settings “_PC1_PeerNestAnalysis” of client) then tuple string item 0 of concatenation ", " of substrings separated by “|” of (values of settings “_PC1_PeerNestAnalysis” of client) else “0”
A: 1
T: 0.032 ms

Q: if (exists values of settings “_PC1_PeerNestAnalysis” of client) then tuple string item 1 of concatenation ", " of substrings separated by “|” of (values of settings “_PC1_PeerNestAnalysis” of client) else “0”
T: 0.037 ms

Q: if (exists values of settings “_PC1_PeerNestAnalysis” of client) then tuple string item 2 of concatenation ", " of substrings separated by “|” of (values of settings “_PC1_PeerNestAnalysis” of client) else “0”
A: 1
T: 0.032 ms

Q: if (exists values of settings “_PC1_PeerNestAnalysis” of client) then tuple string item 3 of concatenation ", " of substrings separated by “|” of (values of settings “_PC1_PeerNestAnalysis” of client) else “0”
T: 0.066 ms

Thx.

Relevance may have errors but should not cause a client crash. Continue working with support to get a defect logged and work with them on debugging.
It’s unlikely we can collect the kind of debug info needed to troubleshoot here…

What version of client are these running, anyway?

Hi Jason,
Our clients are running 10.0.4.32 Since I’ve disabled the analysis, I’ve asked for updated report and indeed the # crashes have decreased so there is correlation between the analysis and BESClient crashes.

I’m going to re-write some relevance and deploy to subset of devices and see if that can help with the crashes.

Thx for the info and help, appreciated!!