BigFix Analyses to capture the exact information of “WiFi adapter Prefer band”

Team, I am trying to capture the information of available Wi-Fi adapter Prefer band for 5GHz band . So that we can set the same on 5GHz if it’s supported. I have tried to capture this information with some query but the registry value is not same on all model of devices. Is there any other way to detect the Prefer 5GHz band from all the models in single analysis.

When we did a similar inventory task with auto action to force advanced wireless settings, we ended up using a periodically recuring action to harvest the values using powershell & stored them in the registry for either query purposes or for other content applicability.

Stub of sample action script provided with no warranty, ymmv & the usual statements of no support… :slight_smile:

parameter "PowerShellexe"="{value "Path" of key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\ShellIds\Microsoft.PowerShell" of registry}"
parameter "FixletLog"="c:\programdata\Inventory\logs\WiFi_Network_Advanced_Settings.log" 

action uses wow64 redirection {not x64 of operating system} 

appendfile echo ------------------------------ >> {parameter "FixletLog"} 
appendfile echo -- Preferred Band ------------ >> {parameter "FixletLog"} 
appendfile {parameter "PowerShellexe"} -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoLogo "(Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty Wi* -RegistryKeyword RoamingPreferredBandType -IncludeHidden | Format-Wide -Property DisplayValue -Column 1 | Out-String).Trim()" >temp.txt 
appendfile set /p tmpVar= < temp.txt 
appendfile echo %tmpVar% >> {parameter "FixletLog"} 2>&1 
appendfile echo Set regkey for inventory purposes... >> {parameter "FixletLog"} 2>&1 
appendfile reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFixCustomInventory\NetworkSettings /v PreferredBand /t Reg_Sz /d "%tmpVar%" /f >> {parameter "FixletLog"} 2>&1 
appendfile del temp.txt

delete c:\programdata\InventoryPreferredNetworkValue.bat
copy __appendfile c:\programdata\InventoryPreferredNetworkValue.bat
1 Like

Thanks @nuchtman for your valuable support.
I will try this solution…