BigFix Agent Upgrade Analysis

Before I start to write an analysis that does what I am looking for, I’m wondering if anyone has ever written an analysis that determines the latest version of the agent that a given endpoint can take?

I know that we can use the BES Deployment Upgrade from BigFix Management however the problem there is that the same endpoint will appear in multiple upgrade points if you are down level in your deployment.

I have not, but that’s an interesting idea. In the past I’ve issued policy actions for latest-client-matching-older-OS scenarios.

I’ve seen a few different scenarios spoke about but never anything that lists the newest version available for a given server (even if that version is v9.0).

It should be easy enough to write it and keep it up to date based on the release data. I was just wanting to save my fingers :smiley:

In general, I favor running the latest possible agent on client endpoints, regardless of infrastructure versions.

2 Likes

I was just thinking something basic like

Analysis - Server Version:

if name of operating system contains "win2012r2" or name of operating contains "win2016" or name of operating contains "win2022" then "10.0.9" else "........"

Oh you rule breaker you!

Going back to this in case anyone else wants to expand upon what I have or simplify it (please) then this is what I have created.

Notes:

• This will need manual efforts for each new release but it should be minimum
  • My dev environment is at 10.0.4 which is why I have the highest version in here as 10.0.4
  • I only looked at OS’s I have so you will need to add the ones you have to the list
  • I would like to have said if windows of operating system then xxxxx else xxxx but my relevance skills are poor so I didn’t know how to combine that lot with this :smiley:
  • There is probably a better more efficient way of doing this by looking at the fixlets available to the endpoint in the BES Support site that have client or agent upgrade in the text then choosing the one with the highest number but again, my skills weren’t taking me there.

if name of operating system contains "Amazon" then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "CentOS" and major version of operating system as integer = 5 then "9.5.22" else if name of operating system contains "Linux" and major version of operating system as integer = 6 then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Linux" and major version of operating system as integer = 7 then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Linux" and major version of operating system as integer = 8 then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Linux" and major version of operating system as integer = 5 then "9.5.22" else if name of operating system contains "Linux" and major version of operating system as integer = 9 then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Server 11" then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Ubuntu" and major version of operating system as integer = 14 then "9.5.22" else if name of operating system contains "Ubuntu 18" then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Ubuntu 20" then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Sun" and minor version of operating system as integer = 10 then "9.5.22" else if name of operating system contains "Sun" and minor version of operating system as integer = 11 then "9.5.22" else if name of operating system contains "Sun" and minor version of operating system as integer = 9 then "9.1.11" else if name of operating system contains "Suse" and major version of operating system as integer = 12 then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Win10" then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Win11" then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Win2003" then "9.2.22" else if name of operating system contains "Win2008" then "9.5.22" else if name of operating system contains "Win2012" and name of operating system does not contain "Win2012r2" then "9.5.22" else if name of operating system contains "Win2012r2" then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Win2016" then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Win2019" then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Win2022" then "10.0.4" else if name of operating system contains "Win7" then "9.5.22" else if name of operating system contains "Win8" then "10.0.4" else "REMOVE BIGFIX AGENT"