Bigfix Agent Client remediation

Hi All,

Please let me know the process how can we remediate the Bigfix client agent in our environment using schedule task through which stopped BES service can be started and can report to our Bigfix environment.

Please let me now the scripts which can restart the BES service of client if stopped.

Thanks,

@jatinkhanna - In the BigFix console find the Fixlet named “Install BES Client Helper Service”. Check it out and come back with any questions. Here is the description on that Fixlet:

This task will install the BES Client Helper Service on the selected computers.
The BES Client Helper Service will periodically check on the BES Client service and attempt to restart it if the service is stopped. It will also attempt to perform a number of troubleshooting steps if the service in not starting up correctly.
The default behavior for the BES Client Helper Service will be to check the status of the BES Client once a day.

-jgo

3 Likes

Thanks, its helpful, please let me know if any procedure available with which we can re-install the BES client if Client is corrupted using any scripts (on logon system group policies)

@jgo, I had submitted an RFE while with Kroger for an integrated BigFix Watchdog service for the BESClient and all OS’es. I’m unable to locate this PMR now, but do you know if there’s any plans to implement a watchdog solution for the BESClient or perhaps to disable uninstallation of the BESClient without a password?

Checking on this.

Update when I have information back.

-Jgo

1 Like

In BES Support, there is currently a Task that provides this capability for Windows endpoints (ID 250 - Automatically Restart Stopped BES Clients Using TaskScheduler). We can certainly explore extending this method to other platforms leveraging schedulers such as cron or similar.

@cmcannady, I believe the RFE you’re referring to is https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=109156.

2 Likes

Thanks @Aram… that’s the one! For some reason it wasn’t returning in my RFE searches. Not sure if that’s because my current DevWorks account is tied to CBI, while the RFE was submitted under my old Kroger account.

Anyway, do you know where in the “Under Consideration” process RFE #109156 is? I’ve had a number of clients express interest in this functionality for NIX and Mac endpoints where this functionality is lacking.

Any Luck folks ? this is very much required in our environment where we have 60K endpoints

@srimurthy, I’ve heard rumors that this functionality may be coming in the product for Linux endpoints in the future, but I don’t have a timeframe. In the meantime, you’re welcome to look at my Linux-Watchdog content/solution.

2 Likes