BigFix 9.5 Patch 10 is now available

The BigFix team is pleased to announce the release of version 9.5 Patch 10 (9.5.10.79) of the BigFix Platform.

The main features included in this release are:

• Client Deploy Tool (CDT) Key file option and custom installation path
    When installing the BigFix clients from the Client Deploy Tool (CDT) Wizard, you can access the target computers through the SSH key authentication. You can also specify for the Windows target computers a custom installation path, if you do not want to use the default installation path.

• TLS-encrypted SMTP connection for Web Reports
    When setting up an email address from Web Reports, you can upgrade the SMTP connection to TLS.

• Windows authentication leveraged in command line utilities
    You can now use your Windows credentials to authenticate to BigFix utilities such as the PropagateFiles.exe tool and the IEM CLI.

• Windows performance, efficiency, and maintenance improvements

• The FillDB configuration has been modified to permit more efficient database bulk insert and update operations. Given FillDB is responsible for pushing client reports into the database, this results in a more responsive and more efficient BigFix.
    • The Microsoft SQL Server configuration has been updated to provide improved concurrency and scalability options for BigFix.
    • The BigFix provided Microsoft SQL Server index management scripts have been rewritten to ensure indexes are better managed, with improved fault tolerance while consuming fewer system resources and reducing application impact. This has a positive impact on the long term performance, scalability, and stability of BigFix.
  • Other Enhancements

• Added full support for IBM BigFix Agent on MacOS 10.14.
      Note that, on MacOS Mojave version 10.14 or later, some default security settings restrict access to certain folders in the user’s library which in turn might affect custom content.
    • Added support for IBM BigFix Agent on SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 PPC on Power 9 (P8 compatibility mode) and SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 PPC on Power 9 (P9 mode).
    • APAR and defect fixes.
    • Security enhancements.

See further details in the 9.5.10 Release Notes at: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/90553c0b-42eb-4df0-9556-d3c2e0ac4c52/page/IBM%20BigFix%209.5.10%20Release%20Notes

See the full technical changelist at: https://support.bigfix.com/bes/changes/fullchangelist-95.txt

Pre-Upgrade Considerations:

• All BigFix Platform components are being released in this patch.
  • Ensure to STOP the WebUI and any other active application connecting to the BigFix database BEFORE starting the upgrade
  • A manual Server upgrade is required if you upgrade from a version earlier than 9.5.5. Refer to the 9.5.5 release notes for more information
  • A Pre-Upgrade check Fixlet is available. The Fixlet performs a set of checks to verify if the IBM BigFix Server can be successfully upgraded to 9.5.10. A log file is created in the IBM BigFix Server directory containing details about the executed steps.

Useful links:

IBM BigFix downloads and release information: http://support.bigfix.com/bes/release/9.5/patch10

Upgrade documentation in IBM Knowledge Center

6 Likes

Does it support Windows 10 1803 and 1809?

Yes, it supports Windows 10 1803. Regarding Windows 10 1809, we are running the final tests and we will provide an official support statement as soon as the tests complete.

4 Likes

I assume it’s the same story with Server 2019 (1809)?

Any update for Windows 10 1809 ?

For Windows 10 1809, we completed the verification test on the first version Microsoft released and the BigFix client 9.5 Patch 10 runs fine.

Anyhow, before announcing officially that windows 10 1809 is supported, we are waiting for Microsoft to release the new build of the OS, that fixes the upgrade issues. We do not expect substantial changes, but we prefer to re-run some testing before declaring the official support.

Regards,
Bernardo

2 Likes

Hi, Is BigFix client 9.5.10.79 & 9.5.5.193 supporting to the BigFix server version 9.2.8.74?

When running on the latest versions of Windows 10, only the 9.5.x agents are certified (the value of “x” depends on the specific version of Windows 10). In such a scenario (so 9.5.x agent running on windows 10) we officially support 9.5 clients connecting to server/relay at version 9.2.12 or above.

1 Like

We have already upgraded BigFix Root Server and Client to ver. 9.5.10, but we still can’t find the Mac OS 10.14 patches Fixlet, is there any steps we missed?

We don’t currently provide content for major OS upgrades (e.g. 10.13 -> 10.14), just for patches within a major version (e.g. 10.13.5 -> 10.13.6). 10.14.1 will be the first Mojave content, when available.

V 9.5.9 supports 5000 clients per relay but on the Deployment health check dashboard named “Number of Clients per BESRelay” was showing as Failed does this bug fixed In this release?Please let me Know

Thank you,
Riyaz

2 Likes

Hey Hi,

Can we start for an upgrade to the version 10. Need following details

is there Pre-requisite required?
post update will be there any impact?
Post update MAC and Windows OS Will work?
All the build version of Windows will work?
Any drawback of this version?
was it tested successfully?
will it be ok if we continue with the 9.5.9.62 version?
Any major features are added?

Please confirm

Well I just upgraded from 9.5.7 to 9.5.10
This is in Windows BTW

Backup all my servers via snapshot we are using virtual machines best way
What I did was run the Pre-requisite required yes I ran this passed no issue.

http://support.bigfix.com/bes/release/9.5/patch1064

I did mine very manually. I installed the server upgraded no issues.
I then logged into each of my relays and manually installed [I Tired to use the update fix let but it didn’t work]
I had to clear a bunch of gather status errors in health check
I’m running into Actionsite Version issues so I had to run a blank fixlet to ensure all my machines checked in correctly with all the relays.

I also did system maintenance on my relays and servers after [Defrag BitBleach ect] Bigfix Cleanup App
It’s running a lot better then 9.5.7 so far

Post update MAC and Windows OS Will work? Looks like 1809 is supported and new mac version they will always be adding into just wait it takes time. You are paying for bigfix for them to test the products for you before they become live for us.
All the build version of Windows will work? 1809 is coming out
Any drawback of this version? Setting it up takes a few hours after upgrading to get everything right imo
was it tested successfully? Worked for me
will it be ok if we continue with the 9.5.9.62 version? why not just got 10? I don’t see a reason to not get the latest and greatest most of the time it’s the most stable version
Any major features are added? See the release notes?

Since 1809 was re-released yesterday:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history?ranMID=43674&ranEAID=je6NUbpObpQ&ranSiteID=je6NUbpObpQ-vZ4JHUVtiaOVM6aQvkVsfg&epi=je6NUbpObpQ-vZ4JHUVtiaOVM6aQvkVsfg&irgwc=1&OCID=AID681541_aff_7795_1243925&tduid=(ir_4775a665Nf1a6967ef821fa23f32036b2)(7795)(1243925)(je6NUbpObpQ-vZ4JHUVtiaOVM6aQvkVsfg)()&irclickid=4775a665Nf1a6967ef821fa23f32036b2

Please post when we officially support 1809 now. Thanks!

1 Like

We updated the platform support matrix at: https://www.ibm.com/software/reports/compatibility/clarity-reports/report/html/softwareReqsForProduct?deliverableId=BCF366D0799E11E5AF4444040E46D49B&duComponentIds=Miscellaneous_BDED7E40799E11E5AF4444040E46D49B#!

Windows 10 1809 is now officially supported, starting from BigFix 9.5.8.

2 Likes

What about Windows Server 2019 (1809)

Do we need sa authority during 9.5.10 server upgrade ? Is it necessary ?

When installing or upgrading BigFix, the user account performing the installation or upgrade must have sysadmin server role in SQL Server. When working with a remote instance of SQL, the AD domain service account must have dbo rights, that is db_owner on the BFEnterprise and BESReporting databases. Start with sysadmin server role to perform the installation or upgrade, then back off the privileges to db_owner after the product is up and running.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSQL82_9.5.0/com.ibm.bigfix.doc/Platform/Installation/c_database_requirements.html

1 Like